What's new

Newb Q re bi-wiring/bi-amping (1 Viewer)

Irshad

Auditioning
I just got my HT system components (Paradigm Ref Studio 60s, Ref Studio CC, Denon 3802, Hsu vtf-3, and a Sonamp 1230 amp (12 channels, because in addition to the HT, the amp will drive in-ceiling spkrs in five other rooms of my house.

The Paradigm spkr manual says that bi-wiring and passive bi-amping will improve clarity, detail, etc. It also talks about "vertical" vs. "horizontal" bi-amping.

As I have no idea what any of this means, can anyone recommend what configuration I should go for? (I am having a professional installer come in tomorrow to set up my system.) BTW, my usage would be 90% movies/10%music.

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
Bi-wiring is used when a two-way speaker has a split crossover, allowing separate inputs for high and low frequencies. You run two separate speaker cables from the same output on the amp, one to each driver on the speaker. The idea is that by using a separate speaker cable for each driver, you simplify the cables' jobs.

I've not experimented myself, but this seems dubious. I'd be tempted to spend the money on a single higher-quality (gauge rather than price!) cable than two runs.

Bi-amping is where you drive each driver separately. You need two channels per speaker. Passive bi-amping is where each amp gets fed the full range signal and sends it to the respective driver's crossover input. Active bi-amping is where you use an electronic crossover before the power amps, which then directly feed the drivers.

I've not heard of horizontal vs vertical bi-amping, but I'd guess this refers to using two stereo power amps: horizontal would be using power amp A for L/R bass drivers and power amp B for L/R treble drivers. Vertical would be using power amp A for both L drivers and power amp B for both R drivers.

Makes sense?

Larry B

Screenwriter
mark:

Ive not heard of horizontal vs vertical bi-amping, but I'd guess this refers to using two stereo power amps: horizontal would be using power amp A for L/R bass drivers and power amp B for L/R treble drivers. Vertical would be using power amp A for both L drivers and power amp B for both R drivers.
Paul's link explains the difference between horizontal and vertical biamping.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks