What's new

Newb needs help with first setup (1 Viewer)

ZachFr

Auditioning
Ok, I am a newbie to the Home Theater game, and am definitely bitten by the bug. On a recent trip to Best Buy, I just purchased a Sony Model: KP51WS520 (51” rear projection with HDMI input) and a Yamaha YHT-150 (Surround Sound Setup “in a box” 5.1, etc..) and I don’t have a DVD player yet.

First, I am pondering if I should take back the YHT-150 (still in the box) and trade it in towards a 6.1 setup, or will 5.1 be fine. I don’t need the ultimate set up, but I don’t want to be outdated as soon as I set it up.

Second, I want to get a DVD player with HDMI output, but I don’t see many in my price range ($200.00-$300.00). I thought about the Toshiba Model: SD-V592 (VHS, DVD, HDMI), any thoughts on this unit?

Third, if I do get a HDMI DVD player, do I run the HDMI to the TV and optical to the Surround Sound receiver? Why would using HDMI be an advantage over just running a DVI cable with an HDMI adapter and running the audio through my receiver?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since you're asking for specific-model input and advice, I've moved your post here (the Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level). Welcome aboard!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
An HDMI cable would probably be cheaper than a DVI cable + DVI-to-HDMI adapter. You would run HDMI to the TV and optical or digital coax to the receiver.

ZachFr

Auditioning
The audio in the HDMI wouldn't overide the optical cable would it? (Would the DVD player still put out audio to the reciever?) Which is clearer, optical or digital coax?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Optical and Digital coax are for all intensive purpose exactly the same in terms of performance. I would use which ever is more convinient for you (interms of cables on hand and # of inputs available). There will be an option to use the optical /coax audio in conjunction with HDMI, they're most likely all completely active at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks