What's new

Newb needs help hooking up my ht. please. (1 Viewer)

Dan Shellabarge

Auditioning
Hi all.
This is a great forum. I’m learning a lot, but I am still a newb so I have a few questions about hooking up my home theater. After scanning the forums trying to figure out what to buy within my budget this is what I decided on:

Pioneer DSX-D811S
JBL NSP-1 speaker package
Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer

I already have:

Sony 5-disc DVD—DVP-NC615
Sony VCR (no S-video)
36” WEGA KV-36FS100
Motorola digital cable box (no s-video) Might not use this, maybe just regular cable.

What would be the best way to hook this together, and what cables would I need. I have one set of componet video cables, (Monster, was suckered at bb) that I had connected from dvd to tv. My TV is not HD so do I really need component cables? I would like to run everything thru the receiver to make it more simple. On the speakers I think I have that figured out, but on the subwoofer I have about a 50 ft. run. I was going to get a 50 ft. 75 ohm RG-6 coaxial from RS with the f-rca adapters (saw a few threads on this), but the guy at RS said this wouldn’t work and to let him know if it did. What do you guys think. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Dan,
You might want to take a look at the information I provided on this thread several months ago. It should tell you everything you need.
I was going to get a 50 ft. 75 ohm RG-6 coaxial from RS with the f-rca adapters (saw a few threads on this), but the guy at RS said this wouldn’t work and to let him know if it did. What do you guys think.
I think this guy should consider a new occupation. As you’ve already seen, lot of people on this and other Forums use RG-6 for subwoofer and other audio cabling.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dan Shellabarge

Auditioning
So basically if i want to run everything thru the receiver I will have to use composite cables? Since vcr and cable box have no s-video:frowning: Since I have a component cable I would like to try to use it, if possible. Sorry for my incompetence.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Run all your video sources (DVD, VCR satellite etc) to your receiver using the available video cable type (composite, s-video, component). I am assuming you receiver can handle all of these types of cable. Then simply connect the output from your reciever to the TV using composite, s-video AND component cables.

When you want to watch the VCR, simply set your TV to the composite input. To view a DVD, switch the TV to view component, etc etc etc.

Dan Shellabarge

Auditioning
Is there an upgrade for the composite cables that come with components? The rca type with red, white and yellow plugs.
I have the ones that came with my dvd, but was wondering if i should buy something better, or this is as good as a composite connection can get? These will be used to connect the vcr to receiver and then out to tv. I hate to ask so many questions but i dont trust salesmen.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks