What's new

Newb Crossover Question (1 Viewer)

MarantzNewb

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I have a large center channel speaker, and the L/R speakers are small. I'd like to use the full range of the center, but my Marantz won't let me set L/R to small and the center to large. Can I set everything to large, then adjust the crossovers so the small speakers pass lows to the sub, but the center channel handles the full range? I don't fully get crossovers :)

Probably a Newb question but want to set it up right. It's new - and my first system.

Thank you!

A

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Did you run the Audyssey setup? What were the results regarding speaker size and crossovers?

MarantzNewb

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
No I have not yet. Maybe I will. Additional info. The reason I'm tempted to set the center to large is because it has an internal amp for its own sub - Def Tech CS9080. Maybe setting it to small isn't bad. I just want to make sure it uses that sub :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hmm. I looked up that speaker, and I think there's a little bit of marketing lingo going on. It's not really a sub, in the true sense of how that's meant in a HT. It's really a three way speaker with a powered woofer. The difference is that a true sub usually only operates across a limited range. For example, 15-120Hz, and usually less. Most systems have the sub set up to operate over a smaller range than that. I didn't find crossover info for your speaker, but it goes from the midrange to the "sub", so the "sub" probably operates up to somewhere around 700 Hz. Subs don't operate to that high a frequency.

Exactly what I'd suggest depends on the options of your receiver/processor. Set all the speakers to small, and just set the low crossover on the center to a lower frequency, if it lets you. Say, 50Hz, with the others higher, 70-80Hz, but it depends on what speakers they are. You didn't say.

BTW, Audyssey tends to set the speaker sizes to odd things that you end up needing to change. It tends to want everything on large, when it shouldn't be.

MarantzNewb

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Ahhh. Great information. That's why they say it's not meant to take LFE. Btw, here's the full atmos system - still in boxes cause new construction:

POWER CONDITIONING:
Furman Elite-15 PFi

SEPARATES:
1x Marantz AV8802A
2x Marantz MM8077
1x Definitive Technology SubAmp 600

SPEAKERS:
L/R Speakers: 2x Definitive Technology DI 6.5LCR
Center Speaker : 1x Definitive Technology CS9080
L/R Surround Speakers: 2x Definitive Technology UIW RSS III
Rear Surround Speakers: 2x UI RCS III
Subwoofers: 2x Definitive Technology IW Sub 10/10
Ceiling Speakers: 4x DI 6.5S

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your 8802 should allow you to set almost anything you want. At least, aside from setting the mains to small and the center to large. Honestly, with good subs, my opinion is you should never set any of the speakers to large, regardless of what they are. I have full size, three way speaker and I still set them to small. You have subs for a reason. Let them do their job. I also think people tend to set their main to sub crossover too low. Take the low frequency of your speaker and at least double it, preferably 2.5x. So, your center gives a rating down to 24Hz, so I'd start with 60Hz. I think I have my Thiels set to 80Hz for HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks