What's new

Newb building a HT system!! (1 Viewer)

Matej

Grip
Hi, I'm new here-hence i am in the newbie section. I am putting together my first HT system and I am trying to figure out what of my stuff I can use.

I want to include my computer as the DVD player(it has a ATI AIW 8500DV graphics card so I can get composite out)-is this a reasonable solution?

I also have a sharp 27" TV; small, I know, but I can't fit or afford much bigger so it'll have to do.

Sound is my biggest problem.
I have Klipsch Promedia v.2-400 speakers and a sound blaster live! value sound card. It only can do 4.1 dolby digital and THX sound.

I want to get a system that can get 5.1 dolby digital.

What do your recomend? starting from scratch on the sound or can I salvage somthing here?

Matej

Grip
Well I am looking in sub $500 and i would like to avoid HTIB and I want want something with descent sound and an upgrade path--perhaps I am too optimistic? Oh yeah, can I use a sound card (not mine -a new one, say... an audigy) to act as the processor/preamp?

David Dhaus

Agent
Just checked on the HTD Level 1 set up and it is certainly interesting for someone at my budget. The speakers seem pretty close to the Onkyo setup on its HT-S650, although Onkyo's have wood cabinets and I've heard that makes a difference. Also, the HTD sub is at 4 ohms. (For all I know, so is the Onkyo - the specs do not show the sub ohms.) Does that make a difference to the amp? Or is that what the separate power is for on the sub. (Sorry, this newbie is a bit confused! And yes, i've read the primer)

Andy Z

Auditioning
Hi Matej,

Sound is my biggest problem.
I have Klipsch Promedia v.2-400 speakers and a sound blaster live! value sound card. It only can do 4.1 dolby digital and THX sound.

I want to get a system that can get 5.1 dolby digital.

What do your recomend? starting from scratch on the sound or can I salvage somthing here?
You're lucky as the AIW DV has an AC3 (S/PDIF) passthrough on it already, so all you need to do is connect this cable to your receiver. No need for a sound card when watching DVDs! Just make sure your receiver has a compatible S/PDIF in (most will). In the ATi DVD Players audio settings, just set the audio to "S/PDIF output". On normal R8500s like mine there is no pass through so i have set the audio output to pass through a soundcard.

You've got what you need, all you have to decide on what to buy is which receiver and speakers. I dont know about the speakers you mentioned, but you might be able to use them with whatever receiver you buy..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks