Newb building a HT system!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matej, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Matej

Matej Extra

Hi, I'm new here-hence i am in the newbie section. I am putting together my first HT system and I am trying to figure out what of my stuff I can use.

I want to include my computer as the DVD player(it has a ATI AIW 8500DV graphics card so I can get composite out)-is this a reasonable solution?

I also have a sharp 27" TV; small, I know, but I can't fit or afford much bigger so it'll have to do.

Sound is my biggest problem.
    I have Klipsch Promedia v.2-400 speakers and a sound blaster live! value sound card. It only can do 4.1 dolby digital and THX sound.

I want to get a system that can get 5.1 dolby digital.

What do your recomend? starting from scratch on the sound or can I salvage somthing here?

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

You'll probably have to start over if you want 5.1 sound.

Tell us, what's your budget?

3. Matej

Matej Extra

Well I am looking in sub $500 and i would like to avoid HTIB and I want want something with descent sound and an upgrade path--perhaps I am too optimistic? Oh yeah, can I use a sound card (not mine -a new one, say... an audigy) to act as the processor/preamp?

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

5. David Dhaus

David Dhaus Agent

Just checked on the HTD Level 1 set up and it is certainly interesting for someone at my budget. The speakers seem pretty close to the Onkyo setup on its HT-S650, although Onkyo's have wood cabinets and I've heard that makes a difference. Also, the HTD sub is at 4 ohms. (For all I know, so is the Onkyo - the specs do not show the sub ohms.) Does that make a difference to the amp? Or is that what the separate power is for on the sub. (Sorry, this newbie is a bit confused! And yes, i've read the primer)

6. Andy Z

Andy Z Auditioning

Hi Matej,