New

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Zack<P>, May 24, 2004.

1. Zack<P>

Zack<P> Agent

hey everyone this is my first time on the boards .afte hours of searching for a decent home theatre forum to join .i am living overseas in sicily and just recently bout a nice 50 inch hitachi multisystem HDTV.it is rear projection now my only problem now is I have been told the best place for a center channel is even with the tweeters of your main speakers .with my old setup i had no problem with this .now with my new TV i am forced to place the center channel on top of the TV .my question is can i make my center channel into a rear center channel ,and use the speakers on the TV for a center ?before i forget has anyone heard of B&W speakers and would 500 american bucks be a decent price for the 800 serries ?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Zack, welcome to the Forum!

It’s true that having all three front speakers on the same plane is optimal, it’s not the end of the world if you can’t do that. It’s actually pretty common to have the center speaker on top of the TV.

There are a couple of options you can try: You can place the center speaker on a stand just below the screen. That might place it lower than the L/R speakers, but it would be closer to a level plane than having it on top.

Or, you could put it on top of the TV and prop up the back of it, to angle it downward and aim it at the seating. That’s what I did.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Zack<P>

Zack<P> Agent

thanks for the imput wayne .i have a feeling i can learn alot from this forum and top it off this place is flame free . gotta love that[​IMG] as i had said im stationed in sicily .in the navy we dont make too much money so i gotta go with what i can afford .as of right now i have a yahmaha reciever,yahmaha main speakers im looking at replacing with a set of B&W DM604 s3 ,my center channel and rears are polk audio and topping it all off is a validyne 10 inch sub .kinda decent i think but i know i can get better clarity .i just need to know where to look and what im asking for in my price range or at a decent price .

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome to the HTF.

This thread is leaning toward the "speakers" direction so I am moving it there.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sounds like a nice set-up, Zack. [​IMG] Don’t know if $500 is a good price for them, but B&W makes great speakers – wish I had some. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

$500 for speakers in the 800 series? Which speakers are they? I'm pretty sure that's a great deal for any speakers in the 800 series (except for maybe the surrounds).

7. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I have my center about one foot above my mains and its angled down at my seating position (using door stopts to angle it) and it sounds great, I dont think its imperitive to have them exacly the same level. How much higher would the center be?

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Please let me know which speakers you're talking about and where you can get them for $500. The 805's (lowest in the series) retail for $1000 per speaker. If you can get speakers in that series for that price (assuming they're legit) you should jump on it.

9. Zack<P>

Zack<P> Agent

my bust its the 600 serries .sorry for misleading you all .the speakers are the DM603 S3.retail is 300 pounds not sure if 500 american is a decent deal . this gut i work with has em and no room for these as he already has 9 speakers hooked up .

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Is that for the pair? If it is then it's not too bad as long as they're in good condition. MSRP is $1000 for a pair. Most dealers will knock off 15%-20% and you'd be getting them for 50% off so that's not bad at all.

11. Zack<P>

Zack<P> Agent

nate is it ok if i call you that ?the center sits about a foot or 2 higher than my mains .seth from what the guy is saying they are in mint condition he picked em up last year and now has no room .thanks for the imput on them going for a sound check tomorrow
    [​IMG]
    anyone have any good ideas of what movies or music to test them with .i was thinking classical music would be best to check the music ability .