New Zenith 40-inch RPTV at $998 list

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Iver, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Has anybody seen the picture on this new Zenith?

http://www.zenith.com/index.asp?url=...asp%3Fcat%3D45

It's got a great list price, $998, for a 40-inch 16:9 RPTV. It has two "hi-res" component inputs and a single DVI input with HDCP.

It's also very shallow, 17.5 inches, which is nice for smaller rooms.

One thing that's odd is that the Zenith site lists weight as "TBD." Wonder what that means. To be determined? As soon as Zenith gets a scale?

The Amazon listing gives a shipping weight of only 116 pounds. If that's accurate the TV itself would weigh somewhere under 100 pounds, which seems on the extremely light side for this type of set. Not completely confidence inspiring.

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Haven't seen the set yet & I wonder if it's even out? But when it comes to HDTV prices, which I think we have been getting ripped off on, all I can say is thank goodness for Korea & China because if Japan was the only player Sony would be charging $500.00 more than they already are for their HDTV sets. Now if only China would drop in a $800 34 inch Widescreen HDTV set then you'd see the prices tumble like DVD Players did [​IMG]

3. Mark Olton

Mark Olton Auditioning

bleh, the stuff is cheaper not because it's made in China or Korea, but because it's made from inferior components. My marantz dvd player was made in Korea, and it wasn't exactly a bargain. You get what you pay for no matter where it comes from.

4. Iver

Iver Second Unit

It's in the New Products section of S&V and on the Zenith Web site so it probably *is* in stores.

S&V also has a review of a similar Zenith model, the R49W36. The R40W46 is apparently not quite identical to the W36 models (the 49-inch and one larger RPTV). Most of the details are identical (besides dimensions, of course). But the R40W46 has DVI/HDCP while the 36 models don't and the resolutions of the R40W46 are given as "480p/1080i" while for the 36 models it's "540p/1080i." The styling is also slightly different.

It appears, because of the DVI/HDCP, that the R40W46 is a newer model (the nomenclature indicates this also, if they are following the usual custom of newer models having higher numbers). It's a bit odd that Zenith is bringing out their latest CRT RPTV at the smallest size.

This is the review from S&V of the R49W36:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Mark, I go along with you to a point but I think it still does help to have companies fighting with each other for the consumer's business. And I don't believe that Sony uses that much better parts in their, lets say Tube HDTV's than Samsung, Zenith & etc which are all made in Mexico. The parts in the Sony maybe a little better but not what their charging for them (I'm not talking about the "XBR" Line). And yes a 34" $800 HDTV set might not compare with a Sony but if you think Sony could keep charging $1,999.99 for their 34" set your kidding yourself they would probably drop them $500 as quick as they could.

6. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Hmmmmm. Nobody's seen this one yet? I'd find this set and see it for myself but do not know of any Zenith dealers in my area. Maybe Best Buy but that's too far from me. Everything is Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, Mits, Pioneer, Samsung, Phillips, even the occasional RCA. But no Zenith RPTV's. The OEM is LG, Lucky Goldstar (the successor to the now-defunct Goldstar which I believe is a Korean company).

Anybody owned a Zenith RPTV? Ever had any problems that required service? Is it in-home? Reasonably speedy and reliable?