What's new

New Zelda games underwhelming? (1 Viewer)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
It's been known for a couple of weeks that the second GC Zelda would be a Four Swords game, so that's not surprising. Not sure what's happening with the supposed GBA Zelda, though, since neither of these is "really" a GBA game.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It wouldn't be surprising if you people would share news when you learn it! :angry: :angry: :D ;)

Still, I really hope we can expect another fully-3D Zelda adventure on the GC.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Those look more like tie-ins then actual full new games. Four swards is obviously an expansion of the GBA version, and Tetra's whatever is just a puzzle game. These strike me more as Mario Golf style games that try to tie in with the success of a franchise beyond its original style. I sure HOPE at least that's not the next huge Zelda game.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo pooched it on this year's E3. They lost out bigtime. These 2 games are just a further example.

What were they thinking?

I've known for months that Nintendo's (particularly the GCN) continued success depended greatly on their showing at E32K3. Did someone forget to tell them?

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Well, dumping Rare is beginning to look like a smart move, especially after seeing their lackluster line-up.

Other than Halo 2, I haven't really seen anything on consoles that came as surprise.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
While these 2 games do look like stinkers, there's 3 new GCN Pokemon games, Metroid Prime 2, MGS: Twin Snakes, StarFox 2 (that's the title, apparently), F-Zero (which looks stunning), and Rebel Strike (just to name a few) that they've got at E3.

But for their main franchises of Mario and Zelda, I'm a bit disappointed. I dunno if I expected better or if these games are better than they seem, but I'm not very happy right now. In fact, I'm more excited about what MS is doing with XBL than what Nintendo is doing with GCN/GBA connectivity.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So much for the "less & better games" idea. I'd rather play the CD-i Zeldas.

-Dave

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
These simply look like a budget title to help show off some of the stuff that could be done with the GBA/GC connectivity. If that's all, then I don't think it's all bad, and could be rather fun with a GC and a few GB's hooked up.

Any word on the pricing for these?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There's also that Pac-Man game Nintendo is making with Namco. They're really hitting on these party/puzzle games. Seems like they've got some great candidates for introducing online play...

In case you don't know, the Pac-Man game had one player as Pac-Man playing on their GBA while 3 others played as the ghosts on the TV screen using the GameCube controllers. The ghosts can't see the whole map of the maze, whereas Pac-Man can see it all on the GBA. If a ghost catches Pac-Man, then the person playing as the ghost switches controllers with the person playing as Pac-Man. Neat, but I'm not sure the novelty would last too long.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just to make clear my own position, I don't think these games look bad for what they are. They just aren't the Zelda games I was hoping for. I want another big single-player overhead game on the GBA and another WW-style game on the GC.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't Nintendo also have Spaceworld in August? Maybe we'll see something then to push the holiday game buying rush.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
They canned Spaceworld last year in favor of E3 and smaller venue shows through Japan. There is no longer any such creature. E3 is it.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The whole Pac-man concept is pretty cool. Hope it is a budget title and not $50. Don't think it's cool enough to warrant $50, but for $20....

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When Nintendo decided not to have SpaceWorld last year, they said that SpaceWorld was never an annual event, but rather something they just decided to have. If they want to, they could do it again this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks