What's new

New Zelda Cube Bundle! (1 Viewer)

James D S

Screenwriter
Yep. The parallel seems easy enough.

Of course, I'm the proud, unapologetic owner of a first-gen 3DO so I could care less about furture support (I've already got my money's worth in the GCN) - But I am not in the majority.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny how this thread turned into what it is now over my little news post, I'm glad it did though very interesting. :) I agree and disagree with some have said. Nintendo is probably not losing anything on the deal. Wal-Mart's here and I'm pretty sure this was true for all the stores in the US at least, where required to send all the back stock of Cube's to Nintendo so they could be re-bundled with game pack ins. I'm asuming that's what we are seeing here, plus from what I've read Nintendo's system is the most cost effiecent of the three to produce so they have to be making some money. I think this pack in is only at Wal-Mart's now, cause Wal-Mart was being an ass for some reason unknown and refused to honor the buy a Cube get a game free deal that Nintendo is doing, so Nintendo was having to pack the games in for Wal-Mart. I'm guessing like what everyone else is saying is that Nintendo is giving people what they want Zelda, and also including the GBA/GC link cable to encourage everyone to buy a GBA or GBA SP so they can see what all the fuss is about with the connectivity, and to get some really cool GBA games.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
Nintendo will stick with the Gamecube through its entire life cycle and is already developing its next system to be released before Sony and Microsoft release their next ones. Plus it will be backwards compatable with Gamecube games. It won't become the next Sega. Trust me.

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
Released before huh? Thats a good one. Nintendo has never ever ever ever released any of it's console systems on time in it's history. A fact that can't be disputed. (don't take that as a bash for any of you N lovers...we own a Cube, but it is a fact.)
:)

James D S

Screenwriter
Plus it will be backwards compatable with Gamecube games.
That would make it damn sweet. I haven't been up on GCN updates like I should - Is this official?

(That's my number one reason for the success for the two undisputed kings right now (in sheer volume) - Game Boy Advance and PS2 both being backwards compatible. I'm not sure PS2 gets off the ground without it when it launched.)

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
If it really is only the indigo GC that is bundled with the game, I think it's a great way to sell what is probably now an unpopular color. Once you own a GC, you'll end up getting some of Nintendo's other great first-party games and the bundle will also help sell the GBA Zelda title. I give more props to Nintendo for offering a popular game as incentive than Microsoft bundling two poor-selling titles.

James D S

Screenwriter
No one's disputing the quality of the game nor the benfits of such a bundle to the consumer. These points are self-evident.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo will stick with the Gamecube through its entire life cycle and is already developing its next system to be released before Sony and Microsoft release their next ones. Plus it will be backwards compatable with Gamecube games. It won't become the next Sega. Trust me.
You do realise the inherent contradiction in your first two statements? If they release it first, after releasing their system (effectively) last, it's going to be the shortest lifecycle of the three current platforms, with right now, the weakest third party support.

Backwards compatible? First I've heard that. Cold hard inside info or based on more dumb interviews like the "we will release first" comment?

And why the hell should I trust you when you're suggesting Buffy GBA as a "must own" GBA title? :)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
A funny thing happened the other day:

I went to the fights and a Zelda bundle message posting broke out ;)

Seriously, we can argue N's future into the dust and beyond, but what happens will happen (no matter if we thought it would or not.) Enjoy the Zelda bundle at Walmart if you like it; if not, just forget about it and enjoy what you do like.

Thanks for the message on the dela Chris. I snagged one and my fanatic Zelda lovin' friend jammed out and bought one too (I might return my unopened bundle and play his :))

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I don't think this is a panic move by Nintendo. I think it's a great move to sell more systems, as others have noted.
There are some significant problems with the platform and it is showing early signs of further tarnishing a great gaming name
Not following that statement either?? And weak 3rd party support? It's a hell of alot better than the 3rd party support N64 recieved. Most of the big games out now are released on all 3 platforms.

Hell, my local Best Buy has a much better Cube selection than Xbox selection... explain that. I'm more worried about the Xbox, because honestly, the Cube has recieved more time from me lately, and developers keep dropping the ball with LIVE enabled games. And no, I'm not turning this into a Xbox is dying thread, I love both systems, just airing my observations, and that of a few friends.

Mike D.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
85k in the US before the bundle. Not a /great/ selling title.
No its not a great selling title. I can think of some other titles that have sold worse in recent history :P

Oh I went out the other night with the boys and they had a former PEI guy with them.......strange fellow.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
No its not a great selling title. I can think of some other titles that have sold worse in recent history :P
Check yer figures, stat-boy :P It's sold over more than that, last time I looked.

(*cough* of course, that's over 2 platforms... *cough*)

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
That is an interesting observation. I doubt that is the reason, but worth considering.
OK, if you don't think this was planned, then you have NO business sense. I seriously doubt that the game publishing arm of Nintendo and the hardware publishing arm of Nintendo both independently decided to release their most anticipated products of the year within a few days of each other. In addition, the two items work extremely well together and millions of customers might think, "Huh, I wonder what the GBA connectivity adds to the Zelda experience? Isn't there a new one out?" Of course this was planned. Geez, Tingle does everything except hold a gun to Link's head to get you to connect to a GBA during the game.

As a side thought, I wish Nintendo would have included a version of the original NES Zelda after completing WW or 4 Swords a la Metroid/Metroid Prime.

James D S

Screenwriter
I'm sure they can absorb the loss.
I'm sure they can too. And that's what this is about, isn't it - absorbing losses. But it doesn't take much business sense to see that accessories and software are what impact the bottom line - Not hardware sales. That's where they, including Nintendo, lose money.

Do you think it better to launch a new, highly touted system during a time when they are also launching a new, highly touted game? Or launch it after the market has cooled on the game? Asking the consumer to buy both is asking a lot. $150 to be exact. Two big hitters being launched within weeks (2) of each other is going to cut significantly into the sales of each. Those with business sense call that cannibalization. And those with business sense think that's bad.

That may be the strategy of Nintendo, I just doubt that is their ideal situation. I'm sure they would have liked a bit more space (especially considering their larger, more "fund dependant" market).

I realize the benefit of connectivity between the game and the GBA (I have used it myself), but the reality is, many people are going to have to choose which to get - But surely not both.

This is not to mention the obvious fact that one does need a GBASP to get the benefit of connectivity with Zelda. The GBA works just fine. Hence, Wal-Mart will include the cable - which I'm sure was not packed in to sell more SP's, just a happy bonus if a couple of the units move as a result, but for people to take advantage of the feature using hardware they most likely already own. If they don't, odds are they will opt for the vanilla GBA at $40 cheaper.

Nope, I still do not see what that there is an link.

(I'm bundling that pun with my post for free to get my argument into more homes - see, I do have business sense)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks