New Zelda Cube Bundle!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Duran, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Chris Duran

Chris Duran Stunt Coordinator

There is a new Indigo Gamecube Bundle at Wal-Mart, it includes Zelda the Wind Waker, The Bonus Disc that has Zelda Ocarina of Time the Master Quest, and a Gamecube/Gameboy Advance link cable all for $149.96, which is a pretty amazing deal for anyone that hasn't picked up a Cube, or Zelda.

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

That's a sign of panic from Nintendo.

[​IMG]

3. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

How do you figure that? It's the same deal they've had FOREVER except it's Zelda instead of the other games, and they threw in a $10 cable. So effectively it's a $10 discount. I don't see the big deal. Looks like a good move to me because it seems cheaper for people on the fence about buying a Cube for Zelda.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Zelda is a system seller.
    That is, it's a title people want so badly they will buy a new system to play it. By packaging Zelda in a $150 bundle they are effectivly giving the game away for free -and loosing that virtually guaranteed Zelda software sale.

They must have a very good reason to make such a move. The competition is fierce and Nintendo is (unfortunately, IMO) loosing.

Bundling a newly released, AAA title with the following Zelda has is a desparate effort to just get as many Gamecubes in as many homes as possible. Rather than using Zelda as a huge revenue source they're using it as a loss leader to establish a user base.

It is a good deal to consumers but I'm afraid it's a sign of the times for Nintendo.

5. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Ugh. I hope this thread will not degrade into a "Nintendo is losing" thread.

It's one store doing it.

I don't think Nintendo is losing a ton on this deal. They'll end up selling more GBA's out of it. They've already got about 500k in Zelda sales already. This is hardly a panic sign.

Glen

6. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

I agree with you Camp. This is a rather bold statement for anyone to bundle this game with the system. First, we saw Sunshine bundled by Nintendo (which I don't see as as significant as this bundle since Sunshine was somewhat of a let-down), then Metroid. But this title (Zelda) should move by itself, especially since it is barely a week out of the gate, and the margin on software is considerable. If someone is willing to lose out on that, it says something. (You won't see Halo bundled with an XBox anytime soon, and this is not even at the height of its hype - Zelda just came out!)

Considering the sales of the system (GCN) as a whole and its software, there is, and should be, something brewing at Big N's headquarters. There are some significant problems with the platform and it is showing early signs of further tarnishing a great gaming name.

Any numbers on how effective the Sunshine or Metroid bundles were?

7. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Is this a Nintendo-sanctioned bundle, or just Walmart's doing?

Either way, even if it does eat into some of Zelda:TWW profits, it will just put more hardware units in homes. More hardware equals more potential customers for future titles, and more publishers and developers willing to create for your platform.

It's a win/win for Nintendo. Do they really need more cash in the bank at this point? Not really; they have large reserves already. If this new bundle doesn't sell in significant numbers, then Nintendo will still make money elsewhere off Zelda:TWW sales. If the bundle does sell in significant numbers, I think Nintendo is more than willing to sacrifice a little of their potential profit in order to gain some ground on the Xbox in the US.

Behind every business decision, remember that there are a number of analysts and strategists that are paid good money to come up with them. Now I'm not saying that there are never any bad business decisions, but in general, Nintendo has a good track record.

8. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I'm no expert but the timing on this doesn't sound like desperation to me. Zelda has been out for long enough for the hardcore fans to buy it. This deal should help lure lukewarm fans (aka I'd like to play Zelda but I don't want to buy a Gamecube). If it wasn't for a Metroid bundle via Circuit City I probably wouldn't have gotten my brother a Gamecube for Christmas.

9. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

While by sheer volume sales they are in 3rd place. It's not a panic move at all by the big N. Just another way to garner more market share.

The only way Nintendo will be dealt a serious financial blow, is if and when Sony or someone else markets a credible handheld system.

Nintendo heavily relies on the sales from the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance. You take that away from them, and they will be in a world of hurt.

[​IMG]

10. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

13. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

ANyone provide a link for this deal? I can't find it anywhere on Walmart's site and no news of it anywhere. Sounds a bit like April Fools to me...

14. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I saw the bundles yesterday afternoon at a Wal-Mart here in Oklahoma City. Saw them before I saw this thread, actually. I didn't catch a price, but there was this huge starburst-type sticker on the front of the box which listed all of the contents. I was very surprised to see a bundle like that with Zelda so new.

I don't know for myself if this is just a warning sign that the 'Cube is in third place, or if it's just another sign of how powerful Wal-Mart can be sometimes. . .

No Foolin'. [​IMG]

15. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I checked this out at the local Walmart over lunch, they had a whole stack of em ready to go. It's legit!

16. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

First of all, this is not desperation. The $10 cable is pure profit and Nintendo loses nothing by giving it away. In fact, it will only help someone think, "Huh, maybe I'll pick up the GBA SP while I'm here."

The timing, I think, is perfect:

17. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I agree with Rob, Nintendo doesn't do anything out of desperation. They make oodles of cash with everything the way it is right now, any more console/handheld sales are pure honey for them.

That's not to say that they wouldn't want to bulk up GC presence in the USA, or that they might not have a next gen console after GC. But that would be based on choice, not desperation or declining profits. What do they care: would Zelda/Mario/Metroid sell any less if they were on a PS2 or Xbox? 'Nuff said...

18. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

19. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer