New "Young Frankenstein" DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek U, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Derek U

Derek U Stunt Coordinator

In the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, there is a short interview with Mel Brooks where he talks about recording intros for Gene Wilder bloopers for an upcoming "Young Frankenstein" DVD. Has anyone heard about this? Did I misunderstand the article? There are so many great DVDs coming out, I don't think I could committ to re-buying something that has already gotten a damn good release.

Derek

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I have the same question(s). The way it was worded, I wasn't sure if they were talking about a new Young Frank DVD or another Mel Brooks DVD.

3. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

I don't think the current Young Frankenstein DVD has any bloopers with Gene Wilder, but it's been a while since I've given the disc a spin, so perhaps I'm wrong.

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Without checking, I know the current YF DVD does have some outtake scenes in the extra features, but I don't remember if there are any Mel Brooks introductions. I don't think so.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    There are definitely out-takes on the current Y.F. disc, all of them with Gene Wilder. But Brooks does not provide any kind of introduction to them. He does mention some in the commentary track, if memory serves, and they may also figure in the documentary. (I remember him saying that Marty Feldman's biting fur off of Madeline Kahn's fox stole was not in the script - he was supposed to bite it, but not end up with a hunk of fur in his mouth. When he did everyone just cracked up. Madeline Kahn, who had her back to him at the time, had no idea why everyone else was laughing. Then she turned around and saw the hunk of fur sticking out of his mouth. They decided to "keep it in" as they say in the biz. This is one of the bloopers included on the disc.)
    I thought the original disc was very good, with decent extras and a very nice, albeit non-anamorphic, transfer. However I certainly wouldn't object to a 2 dics Five Star release, 16:9 enhanced. I think Young Frankenstein definitely meets the Five Star criteria as Peter Staddon described them a couple of years ago. The 30th anniversary is in 2004, but I'd rather not wait that long. Besides, making a big deal out of a 29th anniversary seems an appropriately Brooksian touch. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

6. Derek U

Derek U Stunt Coordinator

This might be a good question for Peter Staddon tonight.

Dere

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Young Frankenstein needs a new release. It just pains me that the current release is non-anamorphic.
    -Dave

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    What is wrong with the current DVD? It's non-anamorphic, but the video/audio quality is still top-notch. There are a lot of films not on DVD or more deserving of an SE... YF's only problem is the lack of 16x9 video.

9. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Well I asked Mr. Staddon if Fox had any plans for Mel Brooks in 2003 and he said they were currently being looked at, which makes 2003 unlikely.

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

11. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit