New York, the Big Apple or The World's Second Home?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joey Skinner, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Lame.

I know nothing about marketing, but do you really want to advertise your product as the "second" anything?

Is that really the best they were able to come up with?

--
    H

3. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    If this happens, this is another thing I'll hate Bloomberg for.

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I'm part of the world, and it sure aint my second home.

That's one thing that pisses me off about New York. Like the city calling itself "the official center of the Universe". Who designated this? The marketing department of New York?

I bet there are some people in the world that haven't even heard of New York, let alone have a first home.

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Amen. In fact, who wants a home ala NY for a second home? If you could have a second home, wouldn't you want it somewhere warm and with a beach?

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I've never heard of New York calling itself that. We Boston types have been known to refer to our city as "The Hub of the Universe", but you can thank Oliver Wendell Holmes for that.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It's a marketing decision to make money off the phrase so that others who use it can pay licencing fees.

8. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The second time I went there was (and will be) the last. Just not my cup of tea. I can't even imagine going to Hong Kong or one of the more crowded cities on the planet.

Mort

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That's a dumb headline. The nickname "Big Apple" is well-established, and no one's trying to make it go away (and it'd be a futile effort). There's just a lot of marketing hype connected to the city's effort to land the next Olympics.

M.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

It's always been interesting to me how some New Yorkers think the city is the center of Everything, and anything west of the Hudson is the hinterlands. Yet somehow they are worldly and people in other places are parochial..

11. Mort Corey

Especially when we all know it's really Riverside that's the true center right Robert [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mort

12. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Well, there is a place in Hollywood called Crossroads of the World, Mort, but Riverside is far, far away from that place (and much cheaper to live in, which is why I moved here). [​IMG]

13. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

"The other Hell" [​IMG]

14. andrew markworthy

You get precisely the same attitude amongst inhabitants of London. The reason is simple and down to what psychologists call cognitive dissonance. As a Londoner or New Yorker you're living in a rat-infested hellhole where the property prices bleed you dry, everybody is too busy to be bothered with you, the cost of the weeks' groceries would keep a Bolivian family for a decade, you're permanently afraid of being mugged, and if the muggers don't kill you, then it's a close-run thing between whether the terrorists or pollution will get you first. So what do you do? Wake up and smell the bacon and get out of there? Nope - you kid yourself that you're at the centre of the universe and everybody wants to be in your shoes. You've got great stores, art galleries, theatres, restaurants, and the parks. Boy the rest of the world must really envy you those. The fact that the rest of the world can get all they need to buy off the internet, can come up to town for shows, art galleries and restaurants and then get the hell out of there, and have lots of parks all around them (it's called the countryside guys) will never for one second pass through the mind of a typical New Yorker or Londoner.

However, let them keep this illusion - at least it stops them moving into your neighbourhood. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Oooh, that was a nicely done post, Andrew. [​IMG]

Robert (who can still venture into Los Angeles to partake of its amenities, then ensconce himself in his (relatively) cheap, big house that has space for a custom home theater).

16. Mort Corey

Or you can take a short jaunt down the I-15 and partake of the fruits of Wine Country... after which nothng else matters much anyway [​IMG]

Mort

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Yeah, I did that when we visited Widescreen Review during a couple of meets. Food, wine, and home theater. [​IMG]

18. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

"second home"?

A second home is what someone has in Florida to spend winters in.

I don't get a "homey" feeling when someone mentions New York... unless you mean "Homies".

19. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I love visiting NYC and at one point in my life considered moving there. That said, I agree with Dave that "homey" is not what comes to mind when I think of NYC. I'm sure its just a ploy to soften its image for the Olympic Committee.

20. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

They have to change it. Steve Jobs is suing them. Seriously.

Looking for a J/K?