new york new york run time?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Strilka, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Paul Strilka

Paul Strilka Stunt Coordinator

The new DVD claims a running time of 143 min.

My old special edition Laser Disc is 147 min.

Times wrong? Or is something missing from the DVD?

2. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    I don't have it in front of me, but I was pretty sure the dvd was 163 minutes, not 143.

I didn't notice anything missing from it. In fact, it includes that ENDLESS "Happy Endings" number that I personally always thought should have stayed on the cutting room floor (it virtually stops the movie dead in an endless STAR IS BORN homage.)

I'll double check when I get home.

3. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Stunt Coordinator

Will - when initially released, that sequence *was* on the cutting room floor. The biggest (and perhaps only; I'm not that familiar with it) addition for Scorsese's director's cut [the only way it's been available for at least 20 years] is that sequence.

I agree with you, but it almost justifies the length and badness of that sequence when De Niro says "I saw that movie you did, Sappy Endings."

4. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Well, that's interesting. I saw the movie for the first time the other day, and the Happy Endings sequence was 10x better than the rest of the film, IMHO. [​IMG]

5. Haggai

Haggai Producer

With you on that one, PhilipG. I saw it in a theater last week. Actually, Liza's pretty great the whole way through.

6. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Now now guys, I'm CERTAINLY not picking on Liza! I agree that she's wonderful....HOWEVER....that number still seems like it goes on for three years and wants SO MUCH to be "Born in a Trunk." When I first saw this on video (or television?) back when I was a kid, that sequence started with Liza saying "Girls, Girls...!!!" and then went right into the finale, which was great.

Now to each his own, but I just personally felt that the extended version adds nothing but length to the whole enterprise.

7. Sean Richardson

The sequence, as a deleted scene, is pretty amazing to look at and whatnot, I just think it grinds the movie to a standstill ... it's right before the climax, but it doesn't build to the climax, it just kind of shoehorns itself in right before the climax, which is much smaller and more character-based than that HUGE sequence.

Just my two cents, I'm not big on the movie as a whole, but I remember thinking it wasn't too bad when I watched it on VHS until I got to the second tape, which was almost entirely made up of the 'Happy Endings' sequence.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I agree, that moment definately grinds the film to a halt, and I am picking on Liza when I say it's just too much of her! Sorry to fart, but the main problem with this film for me is Liza is just unbearable in a performance that tries to be like her "Momma" but just fails. Liza just isn't in the same league as Judy Garland, and this movie shows it all too well. Liza just grates on me for the whole thing, I never feel any emotion for her, and I can totally relate to why DeNiro would treat her like he did, depite not knowing why he tried so hard to woo her in the first place. And to prove that I'm a total p***k, it's her eyes. Her eyes are too big for her head, and it make me freak out to see her singing and dancing with those guiant eyes staring into the depths of your soul. Keeeripes, I'm getting freaked just thinking about her. I also don't like her singing or speaking voice. Or dancing. I just don;t like Liza.

On the whole, they probably could of cut a good 30 mins out of this and made it a better film. Even the opening night club sequence is over long and a little grating, and it has the most spectacular camera moves of the entire film.

This is deffinately not my favorite Scorsese film, but despite my seemingly loud braap, It's still better than most films and I'm glad to have it. It's nice to have it in it's intended length, and if theres an good making of on the upcoming 2 disc set, I'll probably grab it too.

9. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Typical of MGM.

This is a slapped up non Anamorphic transfer.

The Movie deserves better treatment than this.[​IMG]

10. Sean Richardson

I was under the impression that Scorsese wanted it that way, so that it would feel more like an old movie, because it's almost full-screen anyway (and, in fact, was almost shot in full-screen).

But I could be wrong. It just seems like it must have been deliberate if 'Boxcar Bertha' is anamorphic but 'New York, New York' isn't.

11. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

That's because Boxcar Bertha is 1.85:1, while New York, New York is 1.66:1. MGM has a policy against anamorphic 1.66:1 transfers.

DJ

12. Paul Strilka

Paul Strilka Stunt Coordinator

I was wrong. The DVD is listed at 2 hours and 43 min.
    The Laser is listed at 2 hours and 47 min.
    Extra 4 minutes of something unless one of them is wrong.

Also- What special 2 disc edition?
    I have not heard of one.