What's new

New York City - FAO Schwartz parking help (1 Viewer)

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

Going to take the kids to FAO Schwartz on Sunday. Can anybody help me with some parking suggestions? I have a large SUV.

Thanks much!
Tom

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: That's funny.

Tom, I wouldn't worry too much about that, finding parking in Manhattan is much easier on Sundays. At the very worse it will be 2-3 (street) blocks away.

I would worry more about checking what parades/fairs/events are going on and where, then find a way around them. A couple of weeks ago it took me 2+ hours to get from the Brooklyn Bridge to I-95 because of the New York Marathon, which I had completely forgotten about. And that was after the marathon. While that is an extreme case, it's not at all rare to find an avenue closed for a couple of miles on Sundays because of some parade or fair. That makes travelling crosstown around that area a nightmare.

Minor point, beware of metered spots, meters have been in effect on Sundays in many parts of town for some 3 years now (courtesy Bin Laden). Do check the signs.

--
H

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all. I found a website Icon Parking that has garages in the area. They say if you go into their system and check for available parking on the day and time and then print it out and bring it with you they guarantee a space available. We'll see.

Tom

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I hate driving in New York City.

The best thing to do?

If coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel from NJ,
keep to the right and park in the Port Authority
garage.

It costs about $20 for the day.

You simply go downstairs, hop on the subway
and take it to 59th/60th street (Columbus Circle)
where you will find FAO SCHWARTZ.

The best thing is coming out of parking, going
down the private bus ramp right and bypassing
all congested traffic back into the Lincoln Tunnel.

...of course, you may not be coming from Jersey.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm with ron, I take light rail into downtown Denver, I can't IMAGINE trying to navigate NYC and try to find parking 2 weeks before xmas.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Coming from the south, I like to take the Staten Island Ferry across. $6 parking and free ferry ride next to the Statue of Liberty. If time is important though you may want to drive into the city.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to know how all did driving into NYC this weekend. I was there on Saturday. The sidewalks were shoulder to shoulder, there was a line a block long to get into FAO, most of the streets in that area were closed to right turns. I couldn't imagine having to drive around there this time of the year. And I drive in there at least once a month.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't make it, had a cold. Sat is the day. Which sucks, because Sat before Xmas is supposed to be the biggest shopping day of the year (not Black Friday, that's a myth).

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread