New Yes remasters?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Broadman, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

They started releasing some new Yes remasters. Yes, Time and a Word, and The Yes Album are already out, maybe more, with the rest coming out shortly. They all have a bunch of bonus tracks.

Has anyone heard these, compared them to the last batch? I don't really care much about bonus tracks, but if it is actually an improvement in sound, I may look into them.

2. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Mike, being an avid Yes fan I am also interested in any upcoming higher quality recordings. My personal hope is that Rhino will continue to release more Yes titles on DVD-A. I have both "Fragile" and "Magnification" on DVD-A, and enjoy them immensely. I have heard that Rhino has been considering releasing "Close to the Edge" on DVD-A, but has had problems obtaining a master tape with good enough quality. I frankly don't understand this difficulty because Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (MFSL), who is known for their high quality released "CttE" on a "Original Master Recording" LP several years ago. So evidently there is a high quality master tape out there. I have not heard any of the new remasters from Yes so I can't comment on them. I am a little bit leery of remasters, but like you, if they are sufficient improvements in audio quality I would definitely be interested.

3. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

So this would be a THIRD release of Yes' catalog on CD? I feel like a cow.

4. charles white

charles white Second Unit

I have the "Fragile" DVD-A and it blows away the CD edition(from the 1st original release). Like others had stated before, I'll wait for Rhino to release the YES catalog on DVD-A. I believe there is a definite release date for "Close To The Edge" later this year. I always check the MusicTAP site for such information. More to the point, I've been waiting for that "9012Live" Concert to come out on DVD.

5. Ben_wood

I hope you're right about "Close to the Edge" being released later this year in DVD-A Charles. I'm probably not alone in thinking that "CttE" is Yes's greatest masterpiece![​IMG]

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I heard there were problems between the 2 ch and multi-ch versions of Fragile (or maybe it was the Yes Album) with the bass response?

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Even if these albums would come out on DVD-A, I wouldn't mind a better sounding CD. For every album I own, I want:

1. The best sounding portable version (CD)
    2. The best sounding listen-at-home version.

Usually, they are the same thing. With albums that have non-hybrid SACDs and DVD-As, there are two copies. And with Santana's Abraxas, there are 3 copies (SACD, DTS CD, CD).

Of course I would get the DVD-As. But I'm still curious about the new remasters.

8. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

9. Ben_wood

Thanks Felix, heres hoping Rhino finds side 2!

10. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Just heard back from Rhino - no status on CTTE yet (but it's still on their plate).

I'm hoping too!!

Cheers,