What's new

New Yamahas less power?? (1 Viewer)

Zach_F

Auditioning
I was looking at the new yamaha line with DPII, I was going to get a rxv520 but it didn't have DPII but was rated at 80w*5, I would like to get the rxv430 or rxv530 haven't decided yet but they are rated at 75W*5
I don't read much into those power ratings unless I actually hear the amp, but it seeems odd to release a new model with less power. Maybe I am missing something here so if someone else wants to explain that would be great. I would like to use this amp with my jbl s310,scenter,n24 setup in a 13X18 room wondering if anyone else has a similar setup if it is putting out enough power to handle the speakers.:D http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...VR00010RX-V430
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...VR00010RX-V520

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
well.....the rx-v420 jumped up 10 watts while the rx-v520 dropped 5

remember, to get a noticeable increase in volume, you need to double the wattage.....thus, 5 watts is a very very small difference

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Zach I'm also waiting for the new Yammi line to come out! Can someone checkout his first link and explain to a "newbie" exactly what this means:

"Dynamic Power per Channel MAIN 8/6/4/2 ohm 95/115/140/160W"

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
An ideal amp should double the power output every time you half the ohm load. But only the really expensive seperate amps like Krell actually do this.

Some of the really good, not so expensive amps go up by 80-90% every time you half the ohm load (Parasound and the like).

Most receiver manufactures won't even provide this information. Some of the lower end receivers (entry stuff from Kenwood/Pioneer/Sony) wouldn't show any increase at all with this test. That is bad, means the number they are reporting for 8ohms is really inflated. Yamaha posting a near 50% increase on a halving of the ohm load is very good thing for such an inexpensive receiver.

However, this is with only one channel driven, the increase won't still be 50% with all the channels driven. Also the Yamaha amps being mentioned have impedance switches on the back to make them stable for 4ohm speakers. Higher end receivers (including Yamaha's higher end stuff) don't have this switch. The switch isn't a really bad thing, but it's not a good thing either. I forget the reason why. Hopefully someone else will come by to elaborate on this.

David John

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Yammi RX-V1200 and it is only rated at 80w X 6 and I can tell you that it has plenty of power.

I have JBL N38 mains and Ncenter and I have found it to sound very accurate and plenty of power to boot.

I think you'll be fine with what you are looking at.

Power ratings are sketchy details for many manufacturers, and I have found that Yamaha doesn't play many games with their numbers.

I bet it would test very close to where it is rated.

Jason Ly

Agent
I have the same setup as David, ncenter and N38 mains with Yammie htr5490 (same as rxv1200 w/o preouts and removable power cord. I have had this setup for a couple of months now and power has never ben an issue with the setup.

Whatever you do, have a good time with it. Asking question's here you will find is a definate help.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks