New Yamaha

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eddie Horton, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I just pulled the trigger yesterday on a new Yamaha HTR-5790 and couldn't be happier. Learned a lot by reading these forums(and needed to, since I haven't bought a new reciever in almost six years). Thanks guys. The only problem I'm having is that the "zone 2 and zone 3" lights on the front panel display won't go off even though nothing is hooked up to zone 2 or 3. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

2. Eddie Horton

I just pulled the trigger yesterday on a new Yamaha HTR-5790 and couldn't be happier. Learned a lot by reading these forums(and needed to, since I haven't bought a new reciever in almost six years). Thanks guys. The only problem I'm having is that the "zone 2 and zone 3" lights on the front panel display won't go off even though nothing is hooked up to zone 2 or 3. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

5. Eddie Horton

Didn't work. I don't understand since the 1400 and 5790 are essentially the same unit. Thanks anyway for the tip.......I'll keep messing with it.

6. Eddie Horton

Didn't work. I don't understand since the 1400 and 5790 are essentially the same unit. Thanks anyway for the tip.......I'll keep messing with it.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If the owner's manuals are also the same, look on page 69.
    If you don't find this on page 69, look in your table of contents under "zone 2/zone 3 (USA, Canada, and Australia models only).

To turn off the Zones you first must enable Zone control on the remote control (it ships with this disabled). Once you find Zone 2/Zone 3 in the manual look under the shaded header that says "Remote Controlling Zone 2/Zone 3" for instructions on how to set up the remote. The next page should tell you how to actually turn 'em off with the remote.

I had to do this to get the red icons to go away, but that was before I found the thread over at AVS. Didn't try the latter.

This is my 3rd yamaha, and while they are excellent boxes the user interface and manuals are virtually incomprehensible.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If the owner's manuals are also the same, look on page 69.
    If you don't find this on page 69, look in your table of contents under "zone 2/zone 3 (USA, Canada, and Australia models only).

To turn off the Zones you first must enable Zone control on the remote control (it ships with this disabled). Once you find Zone 2/Zone 3 in the manual look under the shaded header that says "Remote Controlling Zone 2/Zone 3" for instructions on how to set up the remote. The next page should tell you how to actually turn 'em off with the remote.

I had to do this to get the red icons to go away, but that was before I found the thread over at AVS. Didn't try the latter.

This is my 3rd yamaha, and while they are excellent boxes the user interface and manuals are virtually incomprehensible.

9. Eddie Horton

Thanks, Steve. Going to try this right now. Hey!!! Worked like a charm. Thanks again, Steve. I don't know why the manual was so gray on this. You would think that the unit would initially power up without Zone 2 or 3, but that the remote would be shipped with the capability to control them without having to set codes. Oh, well. I still love the receiver, and now those pesky lights are off. My obsessive-compulsive disorder can rest for a while.

10. Eddie Horton

Thanks, Steve. Going to try this right now. Hey!!! Worked like a charm. Thanks again, Steve. I don't know why the manual was so gray on this. You would think that the unit would initially power up without Zone 2 or 3, but that the remote would be shipped with the capability to control them without having to set codes. Oh, well. I still love the receiver, and now those pesky lights are off. My obsessive-compulsive disorder can rest for a while.

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

They may re-appear if you turn it off and then back on with the button on the receiver. Always turn it off by mashing the "standby" button on the remote and you should be ok.

I love the sound mine produces but Yamaha should take a lesson from Pioneer regarding user interface.

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

They may re-appear if you turn it off and then back on with the button on the receiver. Always turn it off by mashing the "standby" button on the remote and you should be ok.

I love the sound mine produces but Yamaha should take a lesson from Pioneer regarding user interface.

13. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

For the 5790 owners here. That receiver is on my short list. What did you guys compare it to during your search and what made you choose the 5790. If you don't mind [​IMG]

Thanks

14. David James

For the 5790 owners here. That receiver is on my short list. What did you guys compare it to during your search and what made you choose the 5790. If you don't mind [​IMG]

Thanks

15. Eddie Horton

I listened to the 5790, Denon 3805, and the HK630. I marked off the HK due to audio dropout issues and the Denon due to the price. I just didn't want to spend over 1K on a receiver. The Yammy had all the features I wanted and was in my price range. Plus, it sounds fantastic.

16. Eddie Horton

I listened to the 5790, Denon 3805, and the HK630. I marked off the HK due to audio dropout issues and the Denon due to the price. I just didn't want to spend over 1K on a receiver. The Yammy had all the features I wanted and was in my price range. Plus, it sounds fantastic.

17. David James

Thanks Eddie. How would you compare the sound of the 5790 and the 630?

18. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

David...I have the HTR5790. I love it. I ended up getting it for $525 w/tax thru a friend that worked at best buy.

19. Daman

Daman Second Unit

I too got myself a 5790 this friday and just love it, i had a few choices between the onkyo 601,yamaha 5760 and harmon kardons.. didnot consider H/k Because of the things i have been hearing about their unreliability.. onkyo was a 6.1 and i wanted a 7.1 setup.. and i got the 5790(around 550) for the price of a 5760(from auth dealer) [​IMG] from datavis.com

20. David James

Thanks guys,

Frank - maybe I need to go make a friend at Best Buy [​IMG]
    Daman - Datavis may have the best price if I'm unable to make a friend at Best Buy [​IMG]

I looked at the manual online trying to understand the bass management without much success. Can you have a different crossover for the fronts, center and surrounds?