New Yamaha RXV-3000 owner

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yumbo, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

replacing 2095.
    have AT350 speakers which are fine.
    getting extra AT center speaker for rear.
    use YST300 sub.
    looking at getting new YST320 sub for RXV3000; NS100 speakers to go with 2095 paired with YST300.
    I pretty much leave on the 6.1 switch. Decodes non 6.1 material quite nicely.
    any thoughts, suggestions, tips, tricks?
    thanks.
    love the new remote - the learn function is way friendlier.
    ------------------
    Yumbo - IMDVD

2. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Congrats Chris! There are a few RX-V3000 owners on the forum and I think most are satisfied. Enjoy.
    ------------------
    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've recently set up a 3000 Yam and a 1000 for friends and liked them so much that I went out and bought a RX-V1. I also had a much loved 2095 and reluctantly sold it.
    The 3000 and RXV1 pretty much has the same control options and I find the ES option very much an upgrade in the audio of most dvds. I added a SVS 20-39PC at the same time.
    I haven't had much time the last few weeks to tweak and figure everything out but so far, these two items have made a significant improvement in all areas. All my speakers are JBL, ranging from some old L100's to Studio series center to N26 rears.
    I've just received the RAV 2000 remote from Yamaha so I know I have a lot of study before me when the time presents itself.
    All in all, it was a lot of money but I have been very happy with the upgrade and look forward to going back through my DVD collection and experiencing the "new" audio I have found.
    ------------------

4. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Congrats on the new RX-V3000. I'm sure that you'll like it as much as the rest of us who own it. I have the 6.1/ES setting on all the time as well.

5. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

is that new LCD remote an equivalent to he Philips Pronto - how much is it?
    Q: how does one calibrate the rear centre? I've just had to use the test tone levels rather than AVIA.
    My room is very large and speakers are set diagonal, ie. Front is in corner, rears are on side corners, and EX/S is in back corner. Listening position is just in front of centre spot. pretty much like a baseball diamond (I can perceive all around me, lol).
    It is a 10mx10m room roughly. so front speakers are about 4m away, and EX/S is about 9m back. should I be setting DSP room size or something to compensate? currently all default.
    ps. I used to listen to music in E[​IMG]isco on the 2095 which was great, but the 3000 Disco setting is different - any suggestions? 8ch Stereo seems to have taken over that effect.
    only gripe about new remote is that it is front heavy (batteries).
    man, Rules of Engagement is a sweet EX mix, and The Patriot trailer sounds better as it was with the 595a and NSP400 speaker set. MI2 however still sounds weak, unlike on the 595a setup.
    will now try Super Speedway!
    any other movie, or yet music suggestions?
    ps. would a 40" RPTV (Grundig based on Toshiba) be any good compared to my current Philips 32" direct view? Other option is Philips 55" RPTV. These are all 16x9. Basic feeling is that 55" is too big at 4m away.
    cheers.
    ------------------
    Yumbo - IMDVD

6. Bob McKenny

Bob McKenny Agent

Chris/Donny,
    Have you noticed any difference in the way dialog sounds that comes from your center channel from the new Yamaha's (RX-V1/V3000) vs. your old 2095? I too have recently upgraded and I don't think the dialog sounds as clear/intelligible/natural on the new V1 or V3000. Music however sounds superior on the V1/3000.
    I orginally bought a RX-V3000 to go with a new dedicated home theater I put in my house. I had problems with intermittant audio dropouts and also noticed that the dialog from the center didn't sound quite right. After going through 3 V3000's, all with dropout problems, I finally upgraded to the RX-V1. The V1 works perfectly (no dropouts) but the dialog didn't seem to sound quite right. At first I thought I had blown something in my center channel which is a Klipsch KLF-C7. After ordering and replacing both the tweeter and the crossover I realized that the problem wasn't with the center. This last week I put the V1 and the 2095 side-by-side and switched back and forth on the same DVD tracks. I had been putting this off because I did't want to have to tear apart my other system where the 2095 was. To me the dialog sounds significantly more natural, clearer, and more intelligible from the 2095. Music, however, sounds superior on the V1 - it is far more detailed and articulate. I think the differences I am hearing must be due to the Burr-Brown DAC's that the V1 and V3000 use. I do like them very much for music but the main purpose of my reciever is to watch movies and most of that is dialog. I am currently contemplating jumping the Yamaha ship and trading in my RX-V1 for an AVR-4802. I hate to do this since I have had and loved Yamaha products for over 15 years. Please let me know what your ears hear.
    Thanks,
    Bob

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

The Yamaha RAV-2000 remote is a Pronto, only with a few minor differences. Its equivalent to the 2MB Pronto, but has a larger database of remote commands, so has less user space, and its hard buttons are different, no channel contols, instead it has them set as power buttons. More details can be found at http://www.remotecentral.com
    The important thing is it can use all the Pronto .CCF files.
    It's MSRP is $499 I believe, and it was offered as a rebate on the RX-V1. If I didn't get it for free, I would have looked into getting a Pronto as you can find them much cheaper and they give you more memory to play with.

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

not sure about center,
    but the music I think is the reverse, sounding better on the 2095 (disco). on the 3000, there is hardly any surround, and in 8ch stereo, bass is lost otherwise.
    which mode do you listen to music in? some CD examples?
    if anything I think my right ear is either damaged (high frequency loss), shaped smaller (canal) or needs medical attention (hot cleaning?).
    I say this because movie sounds all tend to be left weighted in the high frequencies which is VERY distracting.
    unless, it is the amp which is doing this; the last time I noticed this however was with the Onkyo 555 we had. funny, no such effect with 2095 (up to last week).
    I wouldn't mind having my ears checked though.
    when we first hooked up 3000, dialog seemed low, that's all. since then, I've recalibrated, pointed centre down, and switched speaker settings to large for both centre and rears.
    for your same amp test, switch off the main speakers to get better isolation.
    how do you hook up both amps to same speakers and sources for comparison?
    I suggest playing with the settings before buying a Denon, lol.
    that's interesting about the remote, but the supplied one does everything I need (DVD, TV, CD), and would rather spend money on new TV, speakers, blinds, door, and poster frames.
    this remote also has faster response which is cool, still getting used to up/down layout though.
    cheers
    ------------------
    Yumbo - IMDVD

9. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Bob...
    I did not get the opportunity to directly A/B the 2095 to the RXV1 but have noticed some differences that are somewhat noticable regardless.
    I am using the same speakers on the V1 that was used with the 2095 with the exception of the rear center which was added to the V1. Mains are JBL L100 (old,& strong) center is a JBL S Center. Rears are JBL N series, sub is SVS.
    I used VE to calibrate and with the 2095, I had a -1db center setting match my mains. It was very articulate and strong.
    On the V1, it calibrated to -2 to be matched. I found that the center on the V1 to be a little stronger and very clear. I DID NOTICE that in 6.1 es mode, the front center tones down a little in most movie modes. I have adjusted the front center up a little in the mid tones and run everything on SMALL. This has certainly made it different from the 2095 but after a month or so of messing with it, I have gotten used to the difference and feel I have definitely made the right move to the V1. I am still finding small adjustments that make a large difference and the center is affected a lot of the time. Perhaps that is what is making a difference to you.
    I will conclude by saying the 2095 was more forgiving in settings, whereas the V1 allows/ requires more adjustment.
    Don't want to start any flames throwers here but I have had 4 Yams since getting into HT. I always hit the Memphis hi-end shops and demo other brands but keep buying Yams. As a matter of fact, 4 friends/family have recently auditioned various brands and all also bought Yamaha.
    I know that it is all according to taste but sometimes you kinda get used to trusting quality in a brand.
    ------------------

10. Bob McKenny

Bob McKenny Agent

Chris,
    I find your comment interesting about the center volume originally sounding low. That is the same impression I originally had. I determined however, that the volume wasn't lower, it just sounded that way because the sound wasn't as clear/intelligible. I have done alot of tweaking and do have it sounding better. It just bothers me that it still doesn't sound as good as the 2095 even though it is supposed to be superior (and costs alot more).
    On music, I listen mostly to rock and roll. An excellent music DVD to compare the two with is the Eagles Hells Freezes over DTS. To me the RX-V1 sounds remarkable with crystal clear sound all of the way around. The 2095 still sounds really good but somehow just not as crisp.
    It is hard to A-B receivers if you dont have a speaker switch like some of the audio dealers but here's what I did: First I calibrated the speaker and SW balance for each receiver using AVIA and a Radio Shack SPL meter. After doing this I used AVIA to calibrate both receivers to the same absolute volume. My recievers were both hooked up the the same DVD player (Sony DVP-9000ES) using coax digital for the V1 and the optical digital for the 2095. My speaker cables all have banana plugs on them so I would first listen to a passage on one of the receivers, swap the banana plugs to the second receiver and repeat the passage. It would be better if I could switch directly. I thought about going to Radio Shack and getting some type of a cheap A-B switch but using my methodology I was able to hear significant differences so I didn't take it that far.
    Relative to your ear problem. Mine has plugged up with wax before and I was able to buy some over the counter drops to put in them and then use the hot water from the shower nozzle to wash them out. Worked great.
    Bob

11. Bob McKenny

Bob McKenny Agent

Donny,
    I too bleed Yamaha. This is a big part of my dilema relative to going over to the other camp. I have played with the center eq and many other things and have improved the sound but for whatever reason I can't get it to sound as good as the 2095 even with lots of tweaking. I have even thought about trying out one of Klipsch's new flagship center channels the RF-7 but I think this would be treating the symptom and not the problem. I bought the V3000 the first week in July and then upgraded to the V1 in the first week of August. I was hoping that I would get used to the new sound. After two months, I still haven't been able to.
    Going over to the Denon camp may not solve my problem either but one can always hope. My dealer won't have any of the new Denon's for a couple of more weeks so I will keep listening/tweaking and hopefully become satisfied so I won't have to make the switch.
    Bob
    [Edited last by Bob McKenny on September 02, 2001 at 11:50 PM]

12. Keith Mickunas

Bob, I'm wondering something, now I've seen some interesting typos and misspellings, but how did you go from used to youst? Just curious. [​IMG]
    Seriously though, I didn't notice any difference from my A3090 to my RX-V1 in the center. But then again I had a lightning strike and it took about 4 weeks or so before I replaced it.
    [Edited last by Keith Mickunas on September 02, 2001 at 05:33 PM]

13. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

I have owned yhe RX-V990,995,and currently the 3000.I trust their quality and wont ever change brands.I am using Tannoy S8s all around and have not experienced a weak center channel problem.It might have something to do with the fact that the Tannoys are horn loaded speakers.Matching speakers with amps is critical but time consuming.

14. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Bob,
    I think you misunderstood my center channel remarks concerning the difference in the 2095 to the V1....
    with all channels flat, the V1 was 1 db louder than the 2095. Calibrating the V1 found my center at -2db to be consistant with the mains as opposed to the -1 db setting for the 2095.
    We listen to more concert and music dvds than movies and I too found the V1 to be incredible... even though the 2095 was excellent too. Roy Orbison, Black and White Nights dvd is the music dvd I use to demo my system for friends and it is just so dramatic regardless of pcm, dd, or dts (although my choice is usually dts). Sarah Brightman La Luna is also a tremendous treat.
    ------------------

15. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

donny,
    the center is 1db louder on the 3000.
    how does one match the timbre with the GEQ for center?
    AVIA pink noise, and by ear?
    the Eagles, Roy Orbison music test was good.
    movies still sound off center.
    cheers
    ------------------
    Yumbo - IMDVD

16. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I have the yamaha dspA1...maybe you guys should try picking up one of these and comparing dialogue clarity [​IMG]
    For you other Yamaha owners...if you are interested in a great speaker/receiver match, look at Definitive Technology w/ yamaha! Really amazing sound.
    One thing we can definitely agree about is that yamaha is consistently at the top in terms of reliability and/or build quality.

17. Bob McKenny

Bob McKenny Agent

Keith,
    --- Bob, I'm wondering something, now I've seen some interesting typos and misspellings, but how did you go from used to youst? Just curious. ---
    That is why I got an engineering degree in school vs. an english degree. Sounds like you went the english teacher route.
    Bob
    [Edited last by Bob McKenny on September 02, 2001 at 11:47 PM]

18. Keith Mickunas

Bob, actually I went Comp-Sci myself, but my high school pounded English into us. That was the only thing they felt was important if you were going to college. Unfortunately it stuck too much, now I find myself constantly going back in my e-mails and making sure my sentence structure is good and so on. Aw shit, I think that was a run-on sentence. Oh well, I'm going to bed.

19. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

well,
    the waxsol worked a bit I guess. Sounds seem to be clearer, lol.
    ps. I am getting a new TV with only a VGA input - can I use the component switching on the amp with an adapter?
    Hackers is one good mix.
    ------------------
    Yumbo - IMDVD