New yamaha Reciever - Big Problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dan Sheets, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Dan Sheets

Dan Sheets Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I just bought Yamaha's entry level amp to replace my RCA thing. I got the HTR-5730.

Problem is it won't send any bass at all to the speakers.
    I set them all to large, but theres no difference. Small & Large sound EXACTLY the same.

If i set the bass to Front, i get some bass from a Digital signal. If i set it to Both or Sub then theres no bass in the fronts.

On an analog signal if i set the bass to Front or Sub there is nothing, but Both will turn the Sub on.

You think i got a bad amp ?? The whole reason i replaced my RCA was to get some bass from all 5 speakers since each speaker has an 8" Woofer that just sits there idle with my RCA, but this Yamaha seems no better.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Well, if you’ve gotten the same results with two receivers that should indicate the problem is somewhere else. What kind of speakers are you using (a link to a manufacturer’s web site would be helpful)? How big is your listening room (including all areas open to it)?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Dan Sheets

Dan Sheets Auditioning

Well my RCA amp just won't send a low frequency out to the speakers. It came in a set with 5 Satelites and a Non powered sub. I upgraded the speakers though. I think it has a set crossover for the satelites that cant be bypassed.

The speakers i have now are JVC, they have an 8" Sub, 2 Drivers and a Tweeter.

I hooked them up to my friends Stereo amp and they definately put out bass.

Also if i hook them up to the Sub out on my rca, (My RCA has both a powered and non powered output for subs) they will put out bass. And a fair bit of bass at that.

Like i said in the other post, this Yamaha will do it, but only on one setting, and only to the fronts, it won't send bass to both the fronts and sub for some reason.

Mabye i have to set the crossover someone, but i've been through the book and can't find anything on that.

4. Dan Sheets

Dan Sheets Auditioning

Oh and heres the link.

www . jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027204&page=2 (Remove spaces)

I have 5 of those speakers, got them for a good price at a surplus store. I do plan on re-wireing them and better insulation once i learn a little more about speaker building.

5. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm....Dan I'm fairly certain the problem isn't your Yamaha. I do have a question about how you have the speakers plugged in though... If I remember correctly those JVC's have at least two seperate speaker cables per speaker? I think they are bi or tri-amped by the JVC unit they come with. The "subs" have their own cable I do believe.

If there is only one cable per speaker, then disregard all that I said, but I do think the problem is still tied to the "proprietary" way the JVC powered and filtered them.

-Shaun

6. Dan Sheets

Dan Sheets Auditioning

Yes your right, there are 2 wires per speaker.

All i did was just twist them both together and then into the amp (Positive with positive of course, ad negative with negative).

I did open one up and heres what i found out.

The woofer is 6 Ohms.
    The Small Drivers are 8 Ohms.
    And i have no idea on the Tweeter.

There is a small capacitor on the tweeter.
    The back of the speakers say the Sub is 6 Ohms and the main Speaker is 6 Ohms.

I was planning on buying these.

www .partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-210

Do you think those will help ?

My other option was buying small amps for the subs and mount them in the speakers themselves.

7. ShaunLB

Those "might" work...I admit I'm not the most versed when it comes to DIY crossovers and such. Anything you attempt like that will be a trial and error operation so make sure you keep an eye on return policies...no sense in buying 5 crossovers that might not work...maybe try one first? Good luck though, sounds like an interesting project.

8. Dan Sheets

Dan Sheets Auditioning

Well at 10 bucks a piece it ain't that bad. But i think your right, i'll buy 2 and try it on the front speakers.

This is just kinda a learning experience for me, i'm planning on building really nice stuff with good drivers & ribbon tweeters from partsexpress once i learn a bit. A friend of mine installs bathroom cabinets for a living so were gonna build speakers together. Nice tower front, Quadpole surounds, the works.

I did call Yamaha today and the tech guy said there lower cost amps (The One i have and the 6 & 7 speaker version of it) won't put out full range, they are only made for satelite speakers. He also said even though it's rated for 100 watts per channel all you ever get in the rears is 50-60 watts.

Oh well, i have about 25 days left if i want to return it. Best Buy is good about that stuff.

9. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I don't know who told you that from Yamaha, but that's just not true. Even the lowest model Yamaha outputs the full channel of sound and is not "made" for satelite/subs. Unless it's a specific Home Theater in a Box... but the model you bought will output a full range 20-20K signal without any problems.

My friend has the 5730 and we even hooked it up to my B&Ws and it played fine... There is something else (with your speakers) that's going on here).

All it would take is one crossed wire for you to have no bass out of the speakers and for the phase to be completely off.

I'd check your wiring again just to make sure, undo the wires and plug a set (2 wires) in at one time, test, see if it sounds good, then try the other ones.

Unless there is something seriously wrong with the Yamaha Receiver, that's not the problem (at least it doesn't sound like to me). [​IMG]

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    How did you determine positive and negative? Dan is right, if you got polarity reversed on either the independent speakers or the left and right, that would suck out the bass. The best way to determine polarity is to fade between one and both speakers. Bass output should noticeably increase with both speakers; if it decreases polarity is reversed.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. Dan Sheets

Dan Sheets Auditioning

Ok i'll try that right away just. I just assumed the solid color wire was positive and the one with black stripe was negative.

I'll try plugging in just the subs.

And as for who told me that, i called the Canadian Tech Support number and got transfered to some guy in the repair room.

12. Dan Sheets

Dan Sheets Auditioning

Ok i tried plugging in just the woofers.

Tried both wire configurations and nothing.

Changing it from Small or Large speakers does nothing.
    Setting the LFE channel to front does something, but then as soon as i set it to both back to nothing.

THe woofers are definately capable of bass, mabye theres soemthing wrong with the amp.

Anyways, i'm gonna bring it back tomorow, might get a new one or i might just save up for the 7.1 one and fix up these speakers in the meen time.

Thanks for th ehelp everyone.

13. ShaunLB

My Yamaha is a few years older, so I'm not sure if the setting are called the same on the new models, but if I wanted to do what you are trying to do I would do the following:

1. Set Front/Center/Rear to Large
    2. Set Bass Out to Mains (choices are Mains, Sub, and Both [Mains and Sub]

That gives me Full range on all channels, even if you have all your channels set to large, but have bass out set to go to your Sub/LFE you still might not be getting what you want, make sure you have bass set to go to the Main's...just a thought I had about the setup procedure.

-Shaun

14. Dan Sheets

Dan Sheets Auditioning

Ya i tried that.

I get bass out of just the Fronts with that setup. No bass on any other channel, and i tried a lot of different modes.

I would actually be happy with that setup if i could use my subwoofer as well, but as soon as i set it to both the bass on the mains quit.

I think i got a defective amp.

15. andreasVenter

andreasVenter Auditioning

Hi Guys

Just a simple test for polarity that I have used over and over.

Use a 1.5v or 1.2v battery, connect the speaker wires and check if the speaker move in or out. If the cone moves out, the wire connected to positive on the battery is the positive and if speaker moves in, the wire connected to negative on the battery is positive.

Hope this helps a bit.