What's new

New Yamaha HTR-5490 Receiver (1 Viewer)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just received a new flyer from J&R & they have the HTR-5490 advertised for $ 599.99

100 watts x 6

Dolby Digital 6.1, Dolby Pro-logic II

DTS,DTS ES, Neo 6 & DTS ES Matrix 6.1 decoding

22 sound programs with 44 variations

Remote with LCD

I know I'm going to be taking a hard look at this one & if J&R has it at 599.99 I'll bet it can be had for around $500

Sound like a great receiver & I wonder what it will do to pricing on other brands of receivers? Maybe 2002 will be the year of "The Great Receiver Deals? (Let's all keep our fingers crossed).

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
It's the exact same receiver as the rx-v1200, except the v1200 has preouts. The v1200 is $605 and the 5490 can be had for $515.

Barry_R

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, It is an excellent receiver. I got mine shortly before Christmas and am still learning all the features on it. One of the great things is that the sound fields can be completely customized to your room. There are any number of adjustments for each sound field and variations are endless. Quality wise, it is very well built and has excellent sound, not at all "bright" like some of the other Yammies. A big plus, depending on your viewing habits, is the Pro Logic II. It does make a difference when using two channel material.

That price is one of the lowest that I've seen. But check to see if that is from an authorized retailer. Most authorized prices have been in the $800-$900 range. Buying from an authorized retailer may or may not be important to you, the biggest drawback that I know of is that Yamaha says it will not honor warranties from non-authorized sellers. I went the safe route and bought mine from an authorized seller. But I brought in the internet prices for comparison and they came down nearly $200. It didn't match it, but it was close.

Barry.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
J&R is an authorized dealer. Before I buy a receiver though, I'm going to wait to see what all the new models will have to offer & their prices. But the Yamaha so far is at the top of my list. How good is the remote control? Anyone know?

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
$599 is a smoking deal for that receiver, especially considering that J&R is an authorized dealer of Yamaha products.
As far as I'm concerned, the 5490 has the best remote I've seen from a Yamaha in years. It's actually user-friendly and very functional. Instead of entering 3-digit manufacturer codes for programming, it has a built-in library of manufacturer names to cycle through. I have the 5280 (last year's model) right now and the remote was so ackward that I ended up buying a Sony touchscreen remote.
EricHaas:
The RX-V1200 also has a 12V trigger, which the HTR-5490 lacks.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
HTR-5490,

Unless you absolutely must have 6 channels I would get

the HTR-5280/RV-800 instead, because they have pre-amp outputs.

If you must have 6 channels, get the RV-1200 for the same reason,

it has pre-amp outputs.

You may never need the pre-amp outputs, but if a difficult

problem shows up, with pre-amp outputs you are prepared to

solve it.

You can find the HTR-5280/RV-800 for 500 USD and the RV-1200

and the Onkyo DS696 for 650 USD. The Onkyo DS595 (500USD)

does not have pre-amp outputs.

JRS

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Jim, the Yamaha 5280 does not have Pro Logic II, one of the key features that has me interested in the the 5490.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks