What's new

New Yamaha Flagship DSP-AZ1 Details- (1 Viewer)

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
So does anybody know when these new Yamaha's will be available in the stores or when we can get more info? What about the suggested retail prices? I've been considering purchase of a new receiver and have been undecided between the RXV800/HTR5280 or the RXV1000. They look like they both have the connections I need with the 1000 having the better remote which may or may not be worth the price difference. Do these new models still have analog inputs for older equipment? Phono inputs (fewer and fewer seem to include that in this price range)?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
On Yamaha's website, they list " the new RXV1"..... I bought one of these 2 months ago, and although I didn't get my book out for comparison, I didn't notice anything different about it.
Anybody know the difference, or is there one?
I sure hate to think that I bought my unit 2 months ago and now there's a NEW one out there. I will have to say that DSP AZ1 looks amazing..... weights the same as the RXV1. They are certainly monsters.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

David Susilo

Screenwriter
DonnyD,
Please read the specs carefully and you'll get your answers.
If you still can, return your RX-V1 and wait for this new one. At least you get a free RAV-2000 with your unit right? (one of those Pronto-based remote)

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
I talked to a dealer about why companies, specifically Denon, didn't make pre/pros anymore. If you remember, at one time Denon had a really nice pre/pro, the AVR8000. At the moment my dealer is using it for demo purposes. They answer I was given is that the companies figure that they will make fewer pre/pros than receivers, so since the pre/pros are made in smaller volume, they have to charge more for them. Then they figure that people won't want to spend more for a pre/pro when they can get the same processing in a receiver PLUS amplification. So, they figure that if somebody wants to use one of their products as a pre/pro, they'll just buy the receiver.
At least, that was the explanation I was given, which was the explanation my salesman was given by Denon. It doesn't explain B&K, though.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Stacy- Yeah, but it should be easier to engineer a pre/pro, which is essentially a receiver *without* the power amps.
And even though they would make less of them, I could still see them making them on the same assembly line as the "receiver-big-brother" so the costs issue doesn't make a lot of sense. (Although I can see them using it as an excuse!)
Me, myself, and I: I view pre/pros like race cars. Ford and GM and whoever get a lot of "mileage" out of racing in terms of the technology "filtering" down to their passenger cars over time. Plus, Joe Schmoe watching NASCAR might be a little more inclined to go out and purchase model X of a car, if it, or even just the manufacturer, wins a few races he follows.
Same-o for a pre/pro. They *should be* next generation technology trendsetters, with that technology *eventually* finding it's way into receivers.
And this is why I bet B&K does them. They want to be perceived as *more exlcusive* than just a "receiver manufacturer."
But alas, I figure that manufacturers are simply chasing the almighty buck, and that's why they do receivers instead. More volume = more dollars.
That's fine.
They won't get my dollar!
I have my 3 year old Sony TA-E9000ES. I have since added an external Dolby Pro Logic decoder for a THX EX/DTS-ES 6.1 compatible system (which I actually think is better than most 6.1/7.1 efforts right now, because I can *choose* straight DPL decoding for the rear channels, for genuine THX EX/DTS-RS discs, or simple "3 channel stereo" for an enhanced sound field for "standard" DD/DTS discs). And Sony is re-introducing the TA-P9000ES which is a 5.1 channel analog pre amp, so if I wanted, I could have compatibility with DVD-A and/or SACD. The only thing I'd be missing is ... Dolby Pro Logic II. No big loss in my opinion.
Here's my bet: once the "receiver" market gets saturated, manufacturers will once again do pre/pros. What I mean by saturated, is that once the amount of new technology starts to tail off (DD/DTS/DD THX EX/DTS-ES/DPL II, DVD-A, SACD, THX Ultra 7.1, whatever...), and then there just ain't that many more receivers to sell to people who already have what they perceive to be is "advanced enough" technology, *then* manufacturers with do pre/pros (again) to eak out that last bit o' money to be gained. That's my theory, anyway, and I'm sticking to it! :)
I started off with Yamaha. Dolby Pro Logic then Dolby Digital. Then I migrated to separates, but because Yamaha didn't do one, I grudgingly went with Sony. And even though I am not the biggest Sony fan, they have done a half decent job in terms of support of the TA-E9000ES. 3 software upgrades (2 for free) over time, with even a "virtual matrix 6.1" sound field added for compatibility to THX EX/DTS-ES.
But I would still switch back to Yammie in a second, if they did a pre/pro.
Sigh...
------------------

Brad Newton

Second Unit
How will/does this compare to the Denon 4802/3802? What will the price be?
------------------
flag.gif
May God Guide and Guard the USA!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks