What's new

New Xena DVD is PAN/SCAM (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Ack! What a disappointment! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
According to DVD File, the picture of the new Xena R1 DVD (the series finale) has been cropped for 4:3.
I was really looking forward to the disc, and now I'm cancelling my order. Anyone have an email address for USA Films?
Considering the shoddy quality of the R2 discs, I'm wondering if there'll ever be a decent NTSC release of this fun series. :frowning:
P.S. Can't wait for someone to post here and say "OAR isn't so important for TV" :rolleyes

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I kinda missed the whole Xena train, and just when I started to get interested, someone cried out about violence in the series, and they moved it into the middle of the night. DVD has kind of been my last hope of seeing it, and then they start doing things like this...

Oh well, I guess I'll end up with the R2 discs eventually...

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Xena fans won't want to pass this disc up, but the casual viewer might find this story a confusing place as an introductory episode. But if your a fan of Hong Kong films with a ghostly plot, i.e., "The Seven Samurai," you might want to pick this one up as well.
What the hell are they smokin' over there at DVD File?? The Seven Samurai is neither Hong Kong nor ghostly. Gah!
Okay, just had to get that off my chest. As for the dvd, I'm torn. Okay, so they added 15 minutes, but what's the deal with taking out those 5 seconds at the end? Okay, 15 min vs. 5 secs, no biggie, but what was cut? I haven't seen Xena since the 4th season or so, let alone the last episode, so I haven't got a clue.
As for the framing, yeah, this is too much. From episode 3 season 3, these need to be released in their shot aspect ratio. 1.85:1?? Yeah, these guys messed up here. Looks like they put some nice goodies on the disc, and I really want to support the show, thereby helping "them" to realize they need to put out season sets, but dang, if we buy it, they may feel okay releasing the seasons all pan and scan!! GAH! Why the hell aren't WE in charge?? :frowning:

M

MaxY

Well you must know that OAR isn't so important for TV.
BTW I just said it, because I did not want you to have to wait a long time. :D
Max

M

MaxY

Adam,
I understand and Support OAR under all conditions. I only said what I said because he asked for it. It was a Joke.
Ok Now everybody laugh.:D :D :D :D
Max

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So let's play dumb here for a minute:

QUESTION: "THE XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS - THE SEASON FINALE" DVD WAS RELEASED TODAY AND IS FULL SCREEN (1.33:1). IS THIS OAR?

So officially answer the queston for the crowd, please (Ohhh! I know, I know!).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Many modern TV shows are shot on super 35 using only a 1.78:1 shaped area of the frame. They are "framed" for 4:3 and then protected for 1.78:1. It is analogous to open matte theatrical films, but in the horizontal rather than vertical direction. If Xena was shot this way, then 4:3 is the OAR and 1.78:1 is the "open matte" version.

Does the 4:3 version have extraneous information on the top or does the 16:9 version have extraneous information on the sides? Does anyone know how Xena is shot?

Regards,

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
It almost certainly has more on the sides.

FWIW, in the DVD File review, there's a note about Lucy Lawless complaining on the disc's commentary that the DVD was not in a 'cinematic format'.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I too am curious to what was cut from the last 5 seconds. Also, any word if Hercules episodes might come out on dvd. Besides the movies.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know what was cut here? Almost all the violence was in part 1, and there wasn't any swearing or anythign particularly sexual, so I'm at a loss as to what would be cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks