New XBOX owner needs help!!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Richard_T, Sep 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Well, I finally went out and bought an XBOX today. I'm actually pretty impressed with it. This is my first experience with one of these beasts and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I do have one problem with it though

Today I went out and bought the Microsoft Advanced AV Pack so I could get Dolby Digital sound while playing Halo.(My first purchased game!) I connected the cable to my XBOX and connected and S-video (I don't have a TV that supports component video) and the connected a toslink (fiber optic) cable to the little box sticking out from the XBOX and snapped it into the back of my receiver. I set the stereo to look for the optic connection, then went to the title screen on the XBOX and enabled DD and DTS. I slipped in my shiny new Halo game and got and great picture butNO SOUND!! What the hell??

There is no sound at all. What the hell am I doing wrong? Is there some other setting I'm missing to make it work? Do I have to buy a special optic cable instead of the Monster optic I'm using? Damn!! This really bites right here! Can anyone help me out here?

2. Ronald RDC XBG

Ronald RDC XBG Auditioning

The 2 settings in the dash are the only ones for enabling digital out, so let's troubleshoot the whole setup.

First check your A/V pack and make sure the optical out is lighting up, use a toothpick or pen to open the little door and see (XBOX must be on). Just becase it lights doesn't mean it's working, but if it's off that means there's definitely a problem.

Second check your cable with a flashlight and make sure it's OK. Any optical cable will work, as long as it has the correct connectors.

Third deals with your reciever, make sure you have the cable in the correct connection (I'm not saying you're stupid and stuck it in the wrong place, but stuff happens) Then make sure that your reciever is set to A.F.D, Auto or Optical (depends on your reciever) so it knows to decode that signal.

If you have a DVD player hooked up and are using it's optical out, try putting the XBOX in that one and see if you get sound that way.

3. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Alright, I checked all the connections. The little box has a red light coming out of it which I hope means it's working. I plugged my optic cable into my DVD player to make sure it was working and it worked fine. So I took it out of my DVD player and plugged it into the box coming out of my XBOX. I set the receiver to look for an optical cable coming from the source and...AND....NOTHING?? What the F&^K???? DAMN!![​IMG]

Is there a help line I can call or something? If the Halo (or for that matter any game) says Dolby Digital on it, should I assume that my receiver should be set on DOLBY and expect to get 5.1 surround sound?? Please help I'm going nuts over here!

4. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

Do you have any other cable connected to the AV pack? I have the HD Pack and I only have optical out and I get all sound through the optical cable. If you reboot the xbox, do you get the startup sound?

Do you have composites stereo cables connected to the av pack too or just the optical?

5. Ronald RDC XBG

Go back into the M$ dash and make sure that Digital is still enabled. If possible try a friends XBOX or another A/V pack if you still get nothing.

6. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Just the optical cable is connected. I have rebooted the thing about 20 times and checked to make sure that DD and DTS are enabled so many times just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. My receiver says it sees the optical connection by lighting up the "DIGITAL" light but no sound at all comes out.[​IMG] Well, I've just about had it here. Any other suggestions?

7. Ronald RDC XBG

Short of trying another XBOX or A/V pack I'd say you've done about all you can. I've been working on these things for over a year now and never heard of one doing this, save yours. I'd exchange the A/V pack and give a new one a shot first.

8. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I would try one more thing. Plug the cable back into the DVD player and make sure you are getting sound from the DVD player to your amp. THEN, simply unhook the DVD player side of the cable and put it into the XBox.

Do not disconnect the cable from the AMP or do anything to the amp once you established it had sound from the DVD player. Again, do nothing to the amp or cable other than plugging it into the xbox from the DVD player - Leaving it connected to the same input on the AMP.

If at this point you do not have odun from the Box, exchange the AV pack to see if that is the issue.

C. Ryan

9. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Well, it seems it was the AV pack after all. I returned it and brought home a new one which works perfectly. Halo does sound great in 5.1. The voices are much much clearer I find. Thank you for your concern guys. Much appreciated![​IMG]