New "X" anime DVD. Any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Russell, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Mike Russell

Mike Russell Agent

Hi all. Saw this disc at best buy and was wondering if it is any good? How does it compare to ghost in the shell or akira?
    ------------------
    Be as gentle with the faults of others as you are with your own - Egg Shen.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

If it's the same X I saw in theaters last year, it's bad.
    Very bad.
    Awful.
    Incomprehensible.
    A series of fight scenes strung together with no explanation.
    A backstory that makes no sense without having read the manga, but which (I'm told) contradicts it.
    This...Movie...Sucks.
    Can I make it any clearer? [​IMG]

3. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Not sure, but I get the feeling Jason didn't care for this one much... [​IMG]
    It is confusing, and is not in the same league as Ghost in the Shell (awesome) and Akira (needs multiple viewings, but also awesome)

4. Mike Russell

Mike Russell Agent

My attention span for anime is somewhat short. If the story doesn't grab me and pull me in right away, i tend to lose interest. A lot of anime is long winded and confusing. I think i'll pass on this one. Thanks for the advise.
    ------------------
    Be as gentle with the faults of others as you are with your own - Egg Shen.

5. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

"X" is based on the manga series of the same name...a shoujo based manga created by the powerful female team called "CLAMP".
    The movie was created really for the fans of the manga series, so it doesn't dwell on background info and goes right into the fighting. The story does seem like a mess if you have never read the manga, but it makes sense to a lot of us who have read the manga series (especially up to volume 16 in the original Japanese).
    What's interesting is that, like Akira, the production team that created the movie expected the moviegoers to have already read the manga, so much backstory did not needed to be introduced or presented on film.
    It's still one of my faves.
    K.C.