What's new

New widescreen owner has simple question... (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I just got my Mits 65" widescreen (65809 for those who are keeping score). I like to think I know what is up with this kind of stuff, but I am stumped with this one:

Good Will Hunting, its 1.85:1 but on my Panny Rp-56, it doesnt fill the screen, it looks a little squished. It looks like a 2.35:1 movie: there are black bars on top and bottom.

All my other 1.85:1 movies, all of them are screen fillers (i.e. You've Got Mail, As good as it Gets, Uncle Buck).

Is this some non-anamorphic thingy ? Should I not be using the progressive scan feature of the Panasonic rp-56 ? Obviously I checked my DVD player and it is set for a 16x9 screen. And no other changes are made to the Mits (format is standard).

Do DVD players sometimes just screw this up on certain discs ?

What am I missing ?

Steve Blair

Second Unit
GWH is nonanamorphic, you need to use the zoom mode to watch this dvd. I have a toshiba widescreen so your modes may have different names than mine. On my tv FULL mode is for anamorphic dvds. Theatrewide2 is for viewing non-anamorphic dvds. Check your owner's manual or do a search here on the forum for the appropriate modes to use on the Mits widescreen sets for non anamorphic dvds.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Your Mitsubishi TV assumes that anything using the progressive inputs is anamorphic. If it isn't (like GWH) the image will be squashed and stretched horizontally. You need to switch the RP56 to interlaced mode (button on the front) and use the TV's zoom to fill your screen horizontally.

My Pioneer Elite 610 does the same thing, but I use the Panasonic RP91, which can automatically scale non-anamorphic and full frame discs so that the TV's progressive scan inputs and FULL mode can be used all the time. A great feature.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Okay.
Thanks everyone.

I thought it had something to do with being non-anamorphic.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
That's why I got the Panny RP91. It allows one to scale non-anamrophic widescreen movies to be properly displayed on 16x9 TVs that "lock" into 16x9 mode with 480P input.

Sounds like you're saying your set can still, however, modify aspect ratio even with 480P intput. That's unusual (only a few HDTVs out there let you do that). In this case you need a "zoom" mode or something that would "blow up" a 4x3 lbxed picture to properly fill the screen.

-dave

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Mitsubishi TV assumes that anything using the progressive inputs is anamorphic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um ... no, it doesn't. I can switch modes on my Mitsu 16:9 using progressive scan without any problems.

John, what model Mitsubishi do you have? I know the newer models do allow aspect ratio control with progressive scan input, but I think the older Mitsubishi models didn't (maybe the models ending in "05"?). But I confess I'm not up on which model numbers are which since I own a Pioneer (which locks in FULL).

Since Alex "just got his" I guess it probably is like yours. Sorry. In that case Alex could just switch to ZOOM mode (or whatever Mits calls it) while still using progressive to get the proper aspect.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Alex,

if your Mits doesn't allow for aspect ratio control with 480P input then just switch to interlaced (either component or S-video) when watching non-anamrophic discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks