New wide screen now what?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_M, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Scott_M

Scott_M Auditioning

I just purchased a new Pioneer sd-533hd5 tv on Wednesday and already have a Pioneer 434 procressive scan dvd player. The tv is hook up with composite cables. My question is how is the best way to tweak the tv and any suggestion from other readers on how to improve the already good picture.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Do you have AVIA or VE? Those are great places to start. Also, check out The SPot and look into tweaks for your TV.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Scott_M

Scott_M Auditioning

No I do not are they worth the price?

4. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Basically you can't live without them or at least one (Avia will be my choice).

Regards

5. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

Get rid of the composite cable connection and get S-VHS or Component.

6. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Once the TV's broken in a little, you could consider an ISF calibration to extract the maximum performance from that nice new RPTV...

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Scott,
    Congrats on the purchase, I have the SD-533 also and love it! [​IMG]
    I second the recommendation to get an Avia disc, it is a wonderful tool to adjust your TV with.
    My next recommendation is to dump the piece of crap Pioneer 434 DVD player. [​IMG] If you absolutely must use it temporarily, use the S-video output to either Input or Input 3 of the 533. Whatever you do, don't waste your time hooking up the 434 with component cables to run in progressive mode. That model is almost universally regarded as the absolute worst so-called progressive scan DVD player ever foisted off on unsuspecting consumers. The 434 does not do 3:2 detection or pulldown and actually creates artifacts, even in top quality DVD transfers such as The 5th Element. [​IMG]
    If you have $500 available for a new DVD player I highly recommend the Panasonic RP-91. [​IMG] If your budget is $250 or less, the Panny RP-56, Toshiba SD-4700 and JVC SA-60 modesl all have received pretty good reviews.