New Wega KV-27FS13

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Hampsey, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Thomas Hampsey

Thomas Hampsey Auditioning

Today, I just bought the new 27FS13 for my sister and overall it looks great. ("This set is fantastic," to use her words.) However, I am not happy about the fact that we are not getting a perfectly square picture. Instead of a straight line across the top of the screen image, it bows in the middle--thereby making the upper right side of the screen look slightly curved. The upper left side is not affected as much.
    Is this the classic Wega pincushioning problem I have heard about? Is there anything I can do to correct it? I intend to do the Avia disc calibration but I can't imagine that would have any impact on this particular problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I myself have last year's WEGA (the FS12) and have been lucky enough not to have to deal with this "bowing" problem. I have been very happy with it in every respect.
    I look forward to any advice you can provide. Thanks,
    Tom

2. AndyB

AndyB Auditioning

How much does a straight line "bow". A variation of less than 1/2" from the center of the screen is considered "within spec" by the major manufacturers.
    The only way to possibly improve the geometry is to have a technician do a full yoke adjustment inside the set. (which is time consuming and expensive)
    For a consumer set it is unrealistic to expect perfect geometry. The new generation of flat-screen sets, along with wider use of letter-boxing, makes geometry errors much more obvious.

3. Thomas Hampsey

Thomas Hampsey Auditioning

Andy,
    Thank you for the reply. I would have to say that based on what you said, this slight geometry error definitely falls "within spec". So, I am not going to worry about it.
    For those who may be interested, this year's Wega line has a much darker gray cabinet than last year's model. It looks quite elegant I think. The TV's remote control is now silver (last year's was black) although the buttons and layout appear to be the same. I hoped they were going to add a special button to get into the 16:9 enhanced mode quicker, but they didn't and you still have to navigate the main menu to enable that feature. All things considered though, it seems to be a fine set for a very reasonable price. We picked it up on sale at Best Buy for $569 ($604 total including PA state sales tax).
    Regards,
    Tom