What's new

New Weezer album posted online (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
I just found out that EVERY song from Weezers new album "Maladroit" has just been posted online. The album is tentatively scheduled to be released mid April but Rivers Cuomo decided to put the early mixes on the web. I downloaded all of them and like all of the tracks. I think the music and lyrics here are much better than Green. Here's the URL

Camp

Senior HTF Member
This is the full album? Why did they do this?

What are the differences in the two links?

BTW, I'm still hoping for a return to their Pinkerton sound.

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
ive been following the development on this disc. it seemed every month or so they had different versions of each song on the website to check out. i wish more bands would do something like this for fans just as a payback for buying their discs. btw...the final remixes arent from the website..they are from an mp3 group

Camp

Senior HTF Member
but those are the final remixes?
That's too bad 'cause they suck. It has little of the pop-rock sound of the green album (which wasn't really my thing anyway) and none of the creativity and introspection from Pinkerton.
I really wanted to see Weezer take it to the next level and prove Pinkerton wasn't a fluke...however, if this is the final album my hope was all for naught.
Bummer. :frowning:

Jon Teddlie

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah "they all suck..":rolleyes:
I disagree..
I like Pinkerton quite a bit but when Matt Sharp left the band their sound changed, he was a HUGE part of the Weezer sound. These new songs have a more raw straight forward rock sound similar to Pinkerton, did you even bother to listen to them? and if you did was it more than the first 3 seconds of each song? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if you like Weezer music this is more of the same, no less...

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Of course I listened to them! Weezer is one of my favorite active bands...I even gave these songs the benefit of doubt.

very little of what Weezer does well occurs in these new songs. The raw sound you speak of masks what made Weezer weezer.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
Pinkerton was one album of their catalog! The Blue album is highly polished, as is the Green record.

And Rivers Cuomo has since practically disowned Pinkerton and said that he was embarassed by it.

To take that album as the high point in their career and hold them to that standard, when even the band itself dislikes playing the songs, is unreasonable.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I liked most of the songs there.

I do miss the backing vocals that were so very interesting on the Green album: oh baby, hip hip, etc.

Jon Teddlie

Stunt Coordinator
I am a Weezer junkie, I can't think of a song that I don't like.. I have friends that really enjoyed the "blue" album but not Pinkerton because they said it was sloppy and silly sounding.. mainly due to songs like El Scorcho or Good Life due to the lyrics, those same friends like the green album except for Hash Pipe for the same reason. What I do miss is Matt's HEAVY distorted bass and background vocals. Oh well to each their own, I still can't believe we only had to wait 12 months for a new CD and I hear theres alot more songs being recorded too! =W=

Camp

Senior HTF Member
To take that album as the high point in their career and hold them to that standard, when even the band itself dislikes playing the songs, is unreasonable.
That's bullshit. Rivers has personal issues with Pinkerton but the rest of the band acknowledges it as their best work. In multiple interviews the rest of the band indicates their hope that Rivers will eventually come around and come to terms with whatever it is he didn't like about Pinkerton.

My theory is that he let it all hang out on Pinkerton and it failed commercially. He was badly hurt and couldn't get over it. As a reaction he assumes the public likes it best when Weezer plays the pop-rock found on the green album.

Aparently, that's true...at least in this forum. I'll stand alone in my opinion that Pinkerton is a masterpiece of the '90's and nothing else Weezer has ever done can compare to it.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
And I agree completely. The songs on Pinkerton got under my skin. I like songs fun and catchy like Weezer offered up on the green album, but when the person writing the songs obviously injects something personal, I like that extra layer that's added. I think of Pinkerton as very much like the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, a collection of great songs that happen to provide a glimpse into the ego of the mastermind behind them.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm still hoping for a return to their Pinkerton sound.
Fat chance.
As others have alluded, Rivers proclaimed Pinkerton as the worst album of the 90's, and openly said he is "embarrassed" by it. I seriously doubt he has any intention of creating another sparse and honest rock record-- instead I expect we'll get more mediocre pop rock like the green record.
I too believe that Pinkerton was, by far, their best album- and possibly on of the top 25 of the decade. It's always disappointing to me when a band declares their worst work as the "closest we ever got to what I had in my head" and disown their only masterpieces.
I find the blue album tolerable, but simply could not get excited about the green one. The band should realy release a collection of rarities and Bsides, as some of the best material are soundtrack cuts and b-sides (suzanne, i just threw out the love of my dreams, devotion, Mykel and Carli, cover of the pixies veloria, jamie, You Gave Your Love To Me Softly, etc).
Too bad Rivers is obessed with disavowing the greatness of Pinkerton. It sounds like WEEZER wants to be an entirely different band than I want to hear-- and it seems like I'm not alone.
-Vince

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
sounds like pinkerton is a winner. :)
i just ordered it from columbia house for 3 bucks. of course i'll pay 5 bucks in shipping... :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks