What's new

New Way to Judge Cable Sonic Differences (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
For those of you who wish to judge cable sonic differences, WireWorld has created a CD where different cables are used as interconnects on the same song over different tracks with one track as a direct connection "control"...
The Cable Comparator Disc CD has seventeen tracks of the same song. Fifteen of these tracks were made by feeding the analog audio signal through a selection of 1 meter interconnects. Six of the cables are Wireworld's brand new Series 5 models and the others are well-known competitors. Another track is made with a 10-meter long pair of the same type of cable that was used in a 1-meter length to make one of the other tracks. The 17th track is made with a direct connection to serve as a benchmark of comparison. The disc is claimed by Wireworld to "demonstrate objectively that most cables cause substantial amounts of audible distortion, and that Wireworld Series 5 cables effectively minimize this distortion to provide greatly improved sound quality."
Pretty cool. I will try to purchase this tomorrow and see how differently audible the tracks are.
:)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
were levels adjusted and are you aware how the information was recorded? interesting though :)
good holidays to you Lee!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You could create a similar test at home using mono audio and sending one channel down one brand and the other down the other.

Heck, you could do it, flip one out of phase and sum them. This wouldn't tell you which was "better" but would reveal if there are any differences present.

-vince

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
were levels adjusted and are you aware how the information was recorded?
I guess I will learn more when my disc arrives. I am sure Wireworld was very particular about keeping levels and all other conditions the same.
This does give me an idea though Chu...
We combine out CD-based jitter test with a few tracks recorded with different cables on the same song. We don't identify which is which, thereby ensuring DBT conditions. And then we ask for them to identify if they hear differences.
:)

DanaA

Screenwriter
This is extremely interesting to me too. What I'm wondering is, given the sound will come out of your system, if it will then allow you to pick out the cables that might best work given your specific setup. I'm going back and forth in my mind on this issue and am having a hard time figuring it out. If it does, it will be invaluable as a tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks