What's new

New Warner SEs Coming in May! (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, Andy Patrizio at dvd.ign.com had this comment regarding this info:

Spoke to Warner. Wyatt Earp and Around the World in 80 Days are correct, the rest are wrong. They are coming, but not in May.

According to earlier reports, the R2 of Wyatt Earp and Blazing Saddles were coming in June, while the SE of Heat was coming in July. Makes sense that the R1 releases would be released at around the same time as their R2 counterparts but not necessarily exactly the same time.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

For the record, I am no longer employed by Suncoast and haven't been since November 2003. Apparently I didn't sell enough subscriptions to Entertainment Weekly, phone cards, Dish Network service or whatever else was the big corporate push (as in anything but movies) and was let go. Enough sordid personal crap...

The info came from a consumer survey from Esearch on behalf of Warner to gauge interest and potential sales. I was asked if I had heard of the titles, whether or not I planned to buy them and when I planned to buy them.

I apologize for not answering your initial post sooner, but participating on message boards at my job is not allowed where I have to log in (especially where cookies are involved).

De

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

A DVD of "The American President" featuring deleted scenes, perhaps reintegrated back into the film, would be great. I have a copy of Sorkin's shooting script which would probably have been a movie twenty minutes longer, and it's all good stuff. The original draft is supposedly a monster, but if what I have can be seen as a record of what was actually shot, there's some stuff in there that would turn a really good movie into a great movie.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Dewiite,

I hope you did not take offense to my post, its just that these kinds of rumors often get out of hand and are then mistakenly reported to be factual and the source is often long forgotten or ignored (like the children's game, "Telephone").

I came to the conclusion you were a Suncoast employee as that is what it said in your profile, please accept my apology. I'm sorry to hear that was a bad experience, but the bright side to that is you no longer work for a company that apparently did not treat you fairly.

I also want to say thanks for sharing what you were told/shown regarding future releases of WB's much sought after SE DVDs. HTF is a great community and a healthy dose of rumor and conjecture are certainly acceptable, possibly even desired - as long as they are reported as such and not anything more.

Thanks again, and hopefully Davis DVD will update their 'scoop' so as not to create any false impressions.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It's not just Purple Rain. Under the Cherry Moon and at least one other Prince movie are getting the 16X9 treatment.

That sounds correct. I would be surprised if some of the others were coming in May as this is the first I've heard of them, and I would know long before they were released, as I work in home video production.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

That's what I get for not updating :) No apology necessary as you didn't know where the news came from. My name isn't exactly Bill Hunt :D

And because I'm hardly a name associated with DVD news, I expected a healthy dose of skepticism especially since I couldn't provide a link.

Be well,

De

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I hope the Heat SE features new footage since Michael Mann has the habit of putting cut footage back into his movies for DVD (example- Last of the Mohicans) and he even offered to put footage back in for a 3 hour version for NBC (4 hours with ads). I love Heat. The last hour is just the best part of the movie.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Ouch, Nils... excuse me while I remove the slings and arrows.

Yes, I may have gotten a bit too excited to post the "scoop" in the news section. What I should have done was put it in our rumor mill, like I normally would have done. But I was rushed to be somewhere and I put it in as "news". My mistake.

I agree with your post completely, that's why the item has gone into our rumor mill (where it belonged in the first place).

As for credit where credit is due, there's only so much we webmasters can do to find out original sources of info. Some days there's tons of emails to go through, lots of covers and specs to sort out and general site maintenance to get done.

These DVD sites aren't automated, you know... there's a human element behind the scenes. Cut us some slack. We have a fantastic track record for reporting scoops and advance info; and whenever there are spec changes and or street dates shifts, we report those in a timely fashion.

Calling us "irresponsible" is a bit harsh, don't you think?

Real Name
Anthony
Well, they weren't SO far wrong . . .

From www.dvdtimes.org :

Warner Home Video have announced three newly remastered Two-Disc Special Edition Region 1 DVD releases for 18th May 2004 with a retail price of $26.99 each...

Around the World in 80 Days - This celebrated Best Picture Academy Award®-winning 1956 blockbuster finally makes its DVD debut after years atop the most requested DVD wish lists, with the complete and uncut 182 minute widescreen version. Boasting an international crew of nearly 2600, a 44-member all-star cast headed by David Niven; Cantinflas, the famous Mexican comedic actor; Shirley MacLaine and 68,894 extras, this film launched the big-budget, big special effects era in Hollywood.

Bonus features include:

Disc 1:
Introductions by Turner Classic Movies host and film historian Robert Osborne
Feature-length commentary by Brian Sibley of BBC Radio
Georges Melies’ A Trip to the Moon (1902)
Outtakes
Stills gallery
1956 original and 1983 reissue theatrical trailers
DVD-ROM link to Michael Todd’s Around the World in 80 Days Almanac
Disc 2:
Around the World of Mike Todd (1968): narrated by Orson Welles, this profile of the film’s producer features reminiscences by Elizabeth Taylor, Gypsy Rose Lee, Ethel Merman, Lowell Thomas and others
Playhouse 90: Around the World in 90 Minutes (excerpts): Elizabeth Taylor hosts this live October 17, 1957 telecast of the a star-studded gala from Madison Square Garden celebrating the one-year anniversary of Around the World in 80 Days’ world premiere.
March 27, 1957 Academy Awards® ceremony highlights
Newsreels: the Los Angeles premiere and the opening in Spain

Wyatt Earp - Kevin Costner portrays one of the Wild West’s most acclaimed lawmen in this gritty biographical western; a complex portrait of the life, loves and adventures of the man who became a legend in a lawless land. Dennis Quaid also stars as Doc Holliday and Gene Hackman as Nicholas Earp; Lawrence Kasdan (The Big Chill, Grand Canyon) directed.

The Wyatt Earp DVD will include the feature film on Disc 1 and will contain the following bonus content on Disc 2:
It Happened that Way documentary (new)
Walk with a Legend documentary (vintage)
Eleven lifted scenes

Enter the Dragon - Bruce Lee stars in his signature film that will offer more than five hours of bonus material, including a brand new making-of documentary that explores Lee’s motivation for making the film, the difficulties of filming on location in Hong Kong and other behind-the-scenes insights.

Disc 1
Commentary by producer Paul Heller
Blood and Steel: The Making of Enter the Dragon (new)
Bruce Lee: In His Own Words (vintage)
Linda Lee Cadwell Interview Gallery
Lair of the Dragon – Includes 1973 featurette and “Backyard Workout with Bruce Lee” (selection only)
Disc 2
Bruce Lee: A Warrior’s Journey (vintage)
Curse of the Dragon (vintage)
Theatrical trailers
Television spots
Each DVD will be available in widescreen format [16x9 2.4:1] and Enter the Dragon will also feature Dolby Digital audio.

KamyarB

Agent
This is Great news! I have been waiting for this title for a long time. I read this over at DVD Times!

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=10555

It will be the complete and uncut 182 minute widescreen version, but i didn't see any info on Audio.

Bonus features include:

Disc 1:

Feature-length commentary by Brian Sibley of BBC Radio
Georges Melies’ A Trip to the Moon (1902)

Outtakes

Stills gallery

1956 original and 1983 reissue theatrical trailers

DVD-ROM link to Michael Todd’s Around the World in 80 Days Almanac

Disc 2:

Around the World of Mike Todd (1968): narrated by Orson Welles, this profile of the film’s producer features reminiscences by Elizabeth Taylor, Gypsy Rose Lee, Ethel Merman, Lowell Thomas and others

Playhouse 90: Around the World in 90 Minutes (excerpts): Elizabeth Taylor hosts this live October 17, 1957 telecast of the a star-studded gala from Madison Square Garden celebrating the one-year anniversary of Around the World in 80 Days’ world premiere.

March 27, 1957 Academy Awards® ceremony highlights

Newsreels: the Los Angeles premiere and the opening in Spain

Regards

Kamyar

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
No, except for the fact that the only one I was going to buy (Blazing Saddles) is now missing, although I will pick up Enter the Dragon, which was not originally mentioned.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great news on Wyatt Earp:emoji_thumbsup:
Finally the real 90's Wyatt Earp movie on DVD. Don't have to watch that Rambo version anymore:D

Around the World in 80 days is obviously coming out to cash in on the big budget re-make with Jackie Chan due in June. Which wouldn't surprise if its actually better because I agree that the 1956 film is one of the worst best pictures winners ever. It plays as more of a traveloge than a movie. Very thin plot and very little of the original story remains. I don't think I've ever been able to stay awake through one showing before and I've tried a few times and I generally prefer older movies to any new movies.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
absolutely great news about 80 Days coming in a 2 disc se on the same as The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

:emoji_thumbsup:

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
Re: the Prince movies.

Apparently only 'Purple Rain' will get the SE treatment. 'Under the Cherry Moon' and 'Graffiti Bridge' will simply get 16x9 releases.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Now, is Warner Brothers going to be stupid and put all those features PLUS a three hour movie on one disc??

Yes, there are extras on disc two, but it seems to me they're trying to cram WAY too much on disc one and expect excellent picture quality.

Now, will this be the superior Todd-AO 30 fps 70mm version that they transferred, or the lesser CinemaScope 24 fps version? I believe, like Oklahoma, 80 Days was filmed twice due to compatibility issues with many theaters of the day that weren't equipped with Todd-AO. Todd-AO was more of a special venue, premium road show presentation format that just didn't take off.

30 fps photography is superior IMHO to the standard 24 fps as you get a greater focal depth, sharper colors, and far less motion blur and judder, especially when you combine it with 65mm film as with Todd-AO.

Dan

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Around the World in Eighty Days might be a DVD-14 if they're putting that much on the first disc. The outtakes (at least just the alternate prologue and the two Eddie Fisher numbers), A Trip to the Moon (if the Blackhawk Films version), and the 2 trailers would take up around 20-30 minutes depending on how much of the outtakes they're including.

Similar discs like Giant and Doctor Zhivago used DVD-14's, so...

I really hope people rediscover this movie now that it'll be uncut and in OAR for the first time on video.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Any news on the SE of Chariots of Fire????? One of my favorite movies of all time and a highly requested title on this forum. Only version that still exists was released in late '97 or early '98 in Pan-Scan. I hope this is scheduled soon. In fact, I'm listening to the soundtrack at work right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks