What's new

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I really don't see the big deal with it.

It reminds me of one we all know from some stuff we love

40_mmb.jpg

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The 2019 version is very similar to the 1929 version. I think it does look good for animated films but not as much for live action.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
That second 1970 logo can't be correct because Warner Communications didn't exist until 1972. It was still part of Kinney National until that time.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Ironically, in 1984, when WB ditched their abstract logo that looked to me like two and a half hits of cocaine on a black plate while looking down at it, other studios were using the white-and-blue motif:

And WB's archrival in Burbank soon followed suit once they finally added a logo:

Now one of them is no more and the others ditched the blue-and-white logos for CGI ones. When WB does it now, it really does feel like they are copying the Facebook logo. There's a fine line between minimalism and laziness, and this crosses it.

And whoever wrote that article that called The Wizard of Oz a WB film shouldn't get a Christmas bonus this year.*

*Even then, I don't think anyone will actually recreate the climactic kidnapping scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Man, Warner needs some real leadership desperately. That new logo is something for an imprint, like an animated subdivision or an indie films unit, not for the whole company.

Here’s the thing; Warner is now an imprint of AT&T. They’re no longer an independent corporation solely existing to provide filmed entertainment. They actually haven’t been for decades, but the purchase by AT&T changes them from being a film company amongst a collection of media companies to something else.

The logo is clear and flat and scales up or down. I would not be surprised to see it used in places that offer less real estate than a movie screen. I think the idea will be that you’ll recognize that logo and know it’s movies when you see it integrated into the forthcoming HBO Max app and other AT&T devices.

And I know someone is going to say “But Josh, we’re all big movies fans, we know what Warner is.” And that’s true. But that change isn’t for us. It’s for a new generation of consumers that interacts with the media they consume very differently than we did.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The 2019 version is very similar to the 1929 version. I think it does look good for animated films but not as much for live action.

Around the time of their last logo redesign, WB's animation division was still dormant, so they had to outsource this custom logo for Follow That Bird to a Canadian company:

Little did they know then that they would someday be on the same network as Fraggle Rock, HBO, or that that network would be under the same corporate umbrella as the studio.

The main difference between the 2019 and 1929 ones is that the '29 one, thanks to the outlines of the shield, still has more of a sense of depth to it despite being 2D.

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I don’t mind it so much. I actually enjoy seeing the different variations when I watch older films, and I expect the old shield will return eventually, leaving it as another unique signifier in their history. It also reminds me of the WB Animation logo that appears on most of their DC projects these days, which I really like.

731px-Warner_Bros._Animation_color_logo.svg.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks