New Warner 2-discs on the way ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Anthony Neilson, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    This from THE DIGITAL BITS :

Also today, a number of European DVD websites are reporting that Warner will release the following titles as 2-disc special editions in Germany (and elsewhere in Europe) on 4/8: Bullitt, The Getaway, Logan’s Run, East of Eden, Rebel without a Cause, The Big Red One, Batman, Batman Returns and Mad Max 2. That means, of course, that fans in other areas of the world (including the U.S.) can likely expect those titles as well in the months ahead.

MAD MAX 2 is one I've been waiting for. THE BIG RED ONE has been listed for some time and is the restored version. Mention of THE GETAWAY is odd because I thought that was being released as part of a Peckinpah collection - it probably is, in the US.

On another note, I see that a TWO-disc version of NEW YORK, NEW YORK is due for release in R2 UK late this year. Anyone know if this is just the upcoming one disc spread over two ?

2. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

I saw that and almost fell over. I didn't think Logan's Run would ever get the 2-disc treatment, but I'm very pleased with the news. I hope they clean it up because the current DVD's transfer has a lot of dirt and scratches. This is wonderful news for me.

I may be interested in a few of those other titles as well, but that depends on when they actually show up. I'm being cautious these days in purchasing any but the most essential titles on SD-DVD with the hi-def formats right around the corner.

For Logan's Run SE however, I'll buy that on release day assuming a new transfer of course.

3. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I hope that news is true about The Road Warrior.
    Terrific film. I also hope that Mel Gibson and
    George Miller appear in the supplements- they were
    nowhere to be found on the MGM Mad Max special edition.

4. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'm really interested in Mad Max 2, The Getaway (which should be in the Peckinpah box) & The Big Red One (if it's the restored cut). [​IMG]

I hope we'll still get that rumored Dog Day Afternoon SE & the mythical [​IMG] 2-disc Blade Runner (tide-me-over-til-hell-freezes-over-edition)

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'm still waiting on a 2-disc Special Edition of "Cool Hand Luke"... hopefully it surfaces before it's given a 40th Anniversary title branding.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Also, now that we pretty much have confirmation on a Special Edition of 'The Road Warrior', what are the chances that we'll see a Mad Max Trilogy Box Set from WB or at the very least, a Special Edition or even reissue of 'Beyond Thunderdome'?

It'd look pretty bad lined up on my shelf in that flimsy snapper case alongside the remastered Special Editions of it's two brethren...

7. RossMan

RossMan Stunt Coordinator

Well, you had to assume "Big Red One" was gonna be re-released with a new SE because of the new "reconstructed version" making the rounds at film festivals.

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I doubt that would be the case given the other titles planned for release in the set...

"The Wild Bunch", "Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid", "Ride The High Country", "The Ballad Of Cable Hogue"...

Would "The Getaway" really fit with that theme?

9. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

As a huge fan of Logan's Run, this is great news!... but a little hard to believe. You can pick this up for $5.99 in many stores... it doesn't seem like the demand would be that high.

10. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich

Well, lowering price does clear the inventory paving the way for another edition. I really like the film too although the special effects never even looked good on initial release let alone now ...

Certainly a better image would be nice but a second disc? I guess we will have to wait and see what they have for us. However, the way Warner has been steamrolling along, singin' a song ...

11. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Yeah, I saw the reconstructed version in a theater a couple of months ago, and I'm pretty sure there was a Warner Home Video logo at the beginning.

12. Frank M

Frank M Stunt Coordinator

From .hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=224;5;-1;-1&sku=344873

Double Disc Set - Special Features

Audio Commentary By Director Martin Scorsese And Film Critic Carrie Rickey

New Documentary 'The New York, New York Stories' - 2 Part Documentary Focusing On Producing, Editing, Cinematography & Includes New Interview With Martin Scorsese

Liza On New York, New York

Alternative Takes / Deleted Takes

Deleted Scenes

Photo Gallery

Storyboard

Release Date: 06/13/05

13. Frank M

Frank M Stunt Coordinator

The release date 4/8 is only for Bullitt and Getaway.

The dates from the rumor source:

4/8

Bullitt
    The Getaway

4/15

Easter Parade
    The Band Wagon

5/6

Logan's run
    East of Eden
    Rebel without a cause
    The Philadelphia story

5/21

The Big Red One

06/24

Batman
    Batman returns
    Mad Max 2

14. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

15. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

That's strange... it's great that we're getting an extra movie for the cost, but it'll still look odd sitting in the box amongst my other western flicks. If it's gonna bear any affect on the RSP however, I'd prefer to pick it up as a seperate 2-disc SE...

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Hold on a second....
    ...why? There have been quite a few SE's released in Germany that have never shown up here, so since this information is for Germany don't you guys think you're jumping the gun a bit in regards to R1?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have some of these but I think I will wait & see before I set myself up for disappointment regarding an R1 release.

17. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich

Out of curiosity, what Warner two-disc sets have shown up in Germany but not in the U.S.?

18. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Well, that's strange . . . The R2 NEW YORK,NEW YORK seems to have a 2-part documentary and an interview that the upcoming R1 SE doesn't have !
    I've got the R1 on preorder, but now I'm thinking twice about it.

19. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

US SE releases of "Logan's Run" and the two James Dean titles would be immediate release day purchases for me. And, like others in the thread, I hope for a "Cool Hand Luke" treatment as well. But the two I want most are hands-down "Bonnie and Clyde" and "Network".

20. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    The underlying good news though is that several of these were hinted at in one of last year's online chats with WB, so those predictions were accurate (not that I ever had any doubt !) As BONNIE AND CLYDE was also mentioned, I think we'll definitely see that some time this year.

The LOGAN'S RUN choice is surprising but then wasn't Bryan Singer about to do a remake of that just before he jumped ship to SUPERMAN ? Maybe this was designed to tie in with that and they just decided to release it anyway.