New VW Touareg SUV Has An Unusual Alternate Way To Start It

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

According to VWVortex.com review:

Displayed on the middle console is a large silver button without any markings. This, it turns out, is how you start the truck. There are two ways you can accomplish this either with the traditional insert key in dash method or by depressing fully on the brake pedal and pressing the silver button without the key. A sensor in the ceiling panel detects whether a key is present inside the vehicle and if that key matches the correct security code. If everything checks out, the starter button can be used to start the vehicle without the need to insert the key into the dash.

2. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    More VW "farfromnormal"

I hate these cars!

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I'm not sure I'm still ready to give VW the benefit of the doubt for reliability, but that is pretty ingenious.

4. Michael St. Clair

I drove a Golf for 10 years, no mechanical problems. Mostly city miles.

I kid you not. Great cars IMO. VW and Audi kick some ass.

5. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    I think that is pretty cool.

6. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

crazy. is there a picture?

7. Peter Kline

I have a 2002 Passat (made in Germany). It has been trouble free for 1 year and 4 months. As tight and rattle free as when I first got it. Current Passats are rated at slightly above average reliability by CR. It has been more fun to drive then my previous Camry's and is a hell of a lot safer to boot.

8. Peter Kline

Go to VW.Vortex.com and click on the 2nd test drive of Touareg section at the right of the page. Lots of pics.

9. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Push button ignition isn't exactly anything new. You can mod most cars to do it but some of the more luxurious vehicles like Honda's S2000 has it stock.

11. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

In the cars you mentioned, you have to still insert the key into the ignition before the start button will work. This system works based on receiving a signal from the key (which can be in your pocket). Some of the high-end manufactures are going this route, I believe the new SL500 does this as well.

12. Peter Kline

Of course he hates cars (ok, VWs). Why else would a grown man go by the name of "scooter"! [​IMG]

13. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I can't wait to test drive the Touareg. I'm not very fond of the name, but the vehicle looks incredible.
    As a (proud) owner of a '03 VW Passat W8 I can vouch for the the quality and uniqueness of a VW. Who else gives you 8 cylinders (270hp), all-wheel drive, crisp handling, a beautiful leather interior and room for four adults for less than $40k??? Not Lincoln, Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus or Infiniti.
    After I posted a question here in the After Hours Lounge several people recommended that I take a look at the W8. My personal vehicles have always been American brands and I was reluctant to even consider a VW due to the "young, hip, affordable" image I had about them. Those recommendations were the best I have received at the HTF... well, those and the SVS recommendations [​IMG]

14. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

A friend of mine just leased the new BMW 7 Series ... the car has the same feature. It does not have a key but rather a card to insert in the dash and then a push button start.

That car by the way is the simply technologically amazing.

The Touareg should be fantastic as well.

15. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Doesn't the new Mercedes SL have this as well? You carry a proximity card that unlocks and enables the start button when you get near the door. I think this is a totally cool feature. I recently got a keyless entry system for my '00 Impreza, and I'm amazed at how much time not having to lock and unlock the car saves!

16. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    The new Audi A8 has the same 'keyless' starting of the car. All the key needs to do is be in your pocket and you can hit the button and start the car. The A8 also just up and unlocks the doors when the key is a certain distance from the car. Very cool IMHO and I wish my new A4 had it. [​IMG]
    Had a Jetta before my A4. Great Cars them VWAG's. Can't wait to see the Toureng. I really can't wait to see the new A8 on the road and am looking forward to the A6 redesign (cause I'll probably want one) in a couple of years.

17. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I was gonna add that the S2000's do this. I've seen the actual part on places like Ebay because other people seem to like doing this with their cars. I know on the MR2 Spyder boards, I've seen some chatter on people using that part and modifying it a little for the MR2...

Jay

18. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought an Audi, and if VW is any where near as well built, and fun to drive as my Audi, then I give it two thumbs up! [​IMG] [​IMG] After driving my Audi I will NEVER buy anything else. I am a customer for life, however I will give VW a look when the time comes for a new car.

19. Peter Kline

The VW Passat is built as well as the Audi. Here's a photo of the Touareg (stupid name):
    [​IMG]

20. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    It looks like what I hoped the redesign of the CRV would look like. I like it.