New Video Card Install Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff peterson, Jun 14, 2002.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I have a PII, 350 Mhz running Windows 95. It currently has an AGP 8 Mb SIS brand video card. My 12 year old son has problems with certain games locking up so we thought we'd try a card upgrade. Most cards I had seen required Win 98 at a minimum, so when I saw a Videotek Ekstasy 5332 w/32 Mb video memory onsale at Best Buy that said it worked on Win95, we bought it.

Well, I removed the old AGP card and installed the new one (BTW, it's PCI); nothing happened when I booted up, monitor just said "check signal cable". Put the old one back in, checked the BIO and found a plug and play setting for video card was set to AGP. I changed that to PCI, turned off the machine and swapped cards again. Still nothing.

Right now, the old card is back in. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? I'm wondering if there's a motherboard jumper I need to change (although the mobo's manual doesn't say anything about it).

Thanks.

2. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Hmm..why didn't you get another AGP card(or did I misread your post)?

Anyway, did you change your display to VGA and remove the old drivers before installing your new card? It sounds,though. like you may have a bad card if you are not getting an actual video signal. Does your computer make any sort of beeping sound. There are two types of beeping, on for no/bad vid card and one for no/bad memory.

3. jeff peterson

I didn't get another AGP card because I couldn't find one that said it worked under Win95.

I DO hear beeps when it's booting with the new card...

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Jeff,

the beeps are an error code, most likely "VGA Device not found." check that the card is fully in the slot - that's probably the problem here. the bios setting or AGP/PCI doesn't matter, since that's just where it looks first. also, you may wnat to consider upgrading to win98 since it just plain works better for games (better agp implementation, better integration with directX)

5. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Since you are getting the beeps sounds like either a dead card, or improperly inserted card.

Like Matt said, I would consider moving to Win98SE. I had stability problems with 95 (mostly gaming) and 98 has been rock solid for me.

6. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Could it be he has a dead PCI slot? I installed a new modem back in April and was working until earlier this week. I tried reseating it several times and wouldn't work. I tried another slot and everything was fine. Just a thought...

7. Scott McC.

Scott McC. Stunt Coordinator

Just so you are aware, there are few videocards that work with win 95, and that machine is loooooong overdue for a retirement, a new PC (see my post under "computer won't boot") with the GF3 Ti 200 graphics card, preferably by Gainward for overclocking goodness, will kick ass with all of todays games, and the NV30 core (GeForce 5) and the R300 core (Radeon XXXX) will release in october, and should run with the holy grail of PC games, Doom 3

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Jeff, I hate to toss this in, but are ALL of the games your son is playing Windows 95 compatible?

Glenn

9. jeff peterson

A new PC IS in the cards, just not until the end of the year.

As far as compatibilty, all the boxes SAY it's compatable but you never know.

I tried a reseat of the card as well as a different PCI slot, no go. I DO get the beeps when no card is present; so I think I've seated it properly, since the machine doesn't beep. Could it's default resolution be incompatable with my monitor? Or since I can't even see the boot, that's not in effect until Windows starts?

I think I'll return this and look for a cheap AGP card (remember I'm running an 8Mb AGP card now). Any suggestions?

10. Jeff Lehr

Jeff Lehr Stunt Coordinator

I'm having a similiar problem with my Visiontek Xtasy G4 MX 420 PCI. I have 4 computers and it will only work on 2 of them.
    The 2 it does work on are a Celeron 1.1Ghz running XP Home and a PII 233 running Win98.
    The 2 it does not work on are a PIII 1.0Ghz running Win2000 and Celeron 400 running Win98.
    On the 400 running Win98, I get nothing at all...no beeps, monitor stays off, hard drive doesn't run.
    With the 2000 machine, I get to the 'Starting Windows' screen, but it locks up when it gets to about 98%.

On the Visiontek site, they mention it's important to get rid of your old video drivers, so they might be causing a conflict. I haven't had time to any experimenting and check this out, but I don't see why this card wouldn't work on my other 2 machines.

JL

11. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Under the bios setting did you set it up to allocate an IRQ for PCI video? I'd advise try the following:

1. Under display properties set all the settings to low and drivers to generic. Restart.

2. Uninstall old video driver.

3. Shutdown and replace video cards.

4. Hopefully you will get an add new hardware and load the driver for your card.

5. On some computers (my old Amptron board) it will almost feel like you are breaking it to get a good contact (on memory I had to remove the board, and brace against my concrete floor and push the memory in with a piece of wood so it wouldn't cut up my hand, and I weigh about 260 pounds putting my body weight into it. Very tight fit) as sometimes the boards are not made to tolerance or the slot.

6. This wasn't mentioned but how much memory does this computer have (this and setting the CD rom/IDE controller to DMA should help) as this is the first thing to upgrade imho due to price and overall performance (also check the page file and set a sector if the HD is partitioned)?

7. Does he shut off all unnecessary programs while playing games?

8. If memory is lacking does he have a HD cooler (I had this problem with my old computer constantly looking up because it paged too much to the HD)?

I hope this helps, but another pretty cheap thing you can do is that if his computer is a slot 1 processor he can get a slot 1 to 370 bridge and upgrade to a P3 processor. Good luck and hopefully I got here in time to help a little.

12. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

PS: just thought of something, check the alignment of the MB as a friend of mine had this problem (he bought a Homebrew from a co-worker who game him a good price but was not technically trained) and the funny part was that video card seemed to go in tight and power up with no beeps but would come undone when the tower was straightened and pull out. The only reason I figured this out was I re-tore down the computer and noticed an alignment bushing was missing and the score mark indicated the mis-alignment.