What's new

New Video Card HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Steve F M

Screenwriter
I did something real bad and I need help. I got a Nvidia 6600 card and went to set to 1080i but somehow set to 1080p and my screen went blue and won't come back to where I can see. My Projector or Monitor can't see the resolution the card is putting out.

Is there a way to get out of that resolution? Pretty much I need to reset to a default resolution without doing it on my computer.

I hope this makes sense. I've rebooted and neither my projector or LCD Panel can detect a signal from my computer.

Help

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i would install a different video card (perhaps the one you replaced) to get it to work. then start from the beginning again.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Your other option would be slightly simpler :)

Reboot.
Press F8 as you boot.
Select "Enable VGA Mode"

Reselect correct resolution this time ;)

Steve F M

Screenwriter
I have no onboard VGA would that still work?

Anyway Chris I have a new 6600 card and I want to make sure I'm setting it up correctly with my HDTV projector.

I enable HDTV resloutions and then select 1280 x 720 and thats it?

Refresh is at 60hz shouldn't I optimize somehow to what my projector calls for. In my Panny Manual the optimal setting is as follows

1280 x 720 H Scanning Freq = 45, V Scanning Freq = 60, Dot Clock Freq = 74.250

Thanks. I'm having a bugger of a time with this. My projector tells me to have it set on EDID 1 when using 720p but its all messed up when I do. I have to let it on EDID 2 which is supposed to be for all other signals except 720p and 1080i. " EDID stands for Extended Display Identification Module and is used to transmit informatiom such as the model name of this projector or the settings to the computer connected to the DVI-D In connector. This is useful for projecting the images with the proper resolution." This is from my projectors manual!!

By the way its a Panasomic PT-AE500U.

Thanks again Chris for all your help.

Jeff_Brown

Auditioning
Steve, we have the same projector, we need to band together.

Ok, I just bought a new video card too, and it looks worse than before when I had none. How do I turn off my integrated graphics? That seems to be a problem. Any tips for someone putting in a video card for the first time anyone? Now that I am using it, the screen seems darker and less punchy, as well as having a burn line down the center of the screen, like smoke rising. Any fixes?

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Jeff you should be able to disable you integrated onboard video in the BIOS. Go into your BIOS on startup and look for that option.

Good luck with this projector. I'm on 1280 x 720 and the picture does better then my FX5200 Card, but it works for awhile on EDID 2 and then all of a sudden a blue screen. Then I have to go into the projector menu and change to EDID 1 and its back up. When I restart blue screen on reboot and I have to change back to EDID 2.

This is the native resolution of the projector. What the heck is going on??

Very stumped and I'm very close to putting my 5200 back in.

This would have nothing to do with a power supply would it? I got a Seasonic 300W Super Tornando PSU and now I'm wondering if I got enough power. High end supply with 18a on +12 Rail but could this be causing the unstability?

Jeff_Brown

Auditioning
Thanks steve, I actually just bought a 5200. Well, I did solve the problem of the horrible picture. I had been running the projector and monitor off a VGA cable with a Y splitter, with little loss of picture quality (using my onboard graphics and VGA out). But after I put in the video card, it looked horrible. Once I figured to try removing the Y and just running one display at a time, it looked good again.
Ill get to the BIOS after work and disable that. Ill also let you know if I hit any magical settings with refresh rates or resolutions.

Slowly but surely we are getting to the end....I hope :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I bet dollars to donuts that is part of the problem. The newer nvidia cards require a bit more power than the 5200 will.

FWIW I have a 6800GTOC. Love the card. I use a 550W PSu from AGB.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
If it was the power supply though wouldn't it cause my computer to shut down? or hiccup. Its more like the resolution changes somehow causing my projector to go blue.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the slow response (all day dealing with MIL). Ok, I've done a few tests with a 6600EVGA and the Panasonic projector. So far, I'm having no problems (which I know is of no comfort).

Let me ask the following: do you have any other device attached as a monitor AND is the projector "ON" when the PC powers on?

Second: what version of drivers are you using (you should be using 66.93 or newer)

You might also check the "enable HDTV over DVI" within Nvidia properties, though in this case, it should not greatly matter.

I'll try and recreate your problem. Do you have the motherboard model #? That might help me some.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Its showing my drivers as 7.1.2.4 Could that be right?

Mother Board is a Gigabyte K8NS-939 Ultra. New video card is the Chaintech GeForce6600 with 256MB, 8X AGP and so on. I had the HDTV enabled via DVI.

One problem I did have is that when I went to Nvidia to downlaod the newest drivers(66.93) it kept saying I would revert back to an older driver if I installed it. Never had that problem with the FX5200.

Projector is on before I start my HTPC.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
It might be the power supply. When I go into Media Center and into my Movies it gives a little flutter in the middle of the screen and then its fine.

Is there any apps that can show how much power you are using?

I would hate to spend another $80 on a power supply and that not be the problem.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You're using a Seasonic 300W.. hmm. Supposedly, 350W is the rated mins for the 6600 & up, but in many cases, you'd be fine..

Since this is an NF3 (not PCI-E)then it's close. I don't know the rest of your specs, though (HDDs, DVD drives, memory, any other cards?) to figure out actual power usages.. but it is worth consideration. I was never able to replicate your results using same projector and two different 939 boards.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Using a AMD 64 3200+, 2 - 200 GB Hard Drives by Maxtor, Benq DVD Burner Drive, PCI 5.1 Optical Audio Pass Through Card, Chaintech Geforce 6600 which actually says that a 300w PS is ok on the box.

Never had any problems with the MB with my FX5200 card.

Chris is my driver O.K for this that it is showing. How can I have a driver thats newer then the one on Nvidia's website? It showing as driver version 71.24 on my disk that came with the card.

Seasonic got alot of high marks on this PS. Can't return the PS but I am considering upgrading.

I would hate to do this and it not be the problem.

Thanks

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Last I remember the 5200 doesn't pull more voltage than your agp bus can supply. That is the reason why the new cards like the 6600 and the 6800 require a connector to your PSU because they draw more voltage than the agp bus will supply.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Thanks Chris. Where did you go on Nvidia's website to find that driver?

I been stable for 2 days now on 1280 x 720 at 60Hz so hopefully with the new driver it will also make a difference.

One other thing that you mentioned above about rebooting and pressing F8 if my projector does not pick up a resolution. Will that work if I do not have an onboard VGA Output?

Thanks for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks