What's new

New vehicle - first and subsequent oil changes (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Hey Steve!

Just a clarification. No where did I intend to imply that dealerships are trying to do work that is not needed, or that there is any "evil" intent. They are trying to find legitimate service work that needs to be done.

However, my comment is that the 3/3000 standard is not a recommendation from the auto manufacturers. It is simply a way to get the vehicle into the shop more often then would happen normally, as you said.

No disrespect to your chosen career field!

Kevin_W

Second Unit
When I recently bought my Wrangler, they threw in eight free oil changes - all must be used within the first 2 years (in other words one for every three months).

Considering that my driving habits probably fall under the service plan B of the maintenance log (oil change every 6000 miles), is there any harm in using them up since I have them anyway or should I stick to the 6000 mile maintanence plan?

Kevin

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Randy,

My apologies for being kinda defensive. The fact is that many places (including many dealerships) will indeed recommend stuff that really isn't needed. The best strategy is of course to learn how to check these things out for yourself, but not everyone has access to the tools or workspace necessary, nor does everyone have the time or aptitude. For such people I strongly recommend checking with friends and co-workers who own the same make of car for recommendations as to where to go for service.

An honest dealership shop with well trained technicians is in the long run going to be the cheapest place to go. They have easy access to factory manuals, tools, and service information updates. They won't recommend unnecessary repairs or service procedures, won't waste time and money on innacurate diagnoses, and when they do screw up (anyone can make an honest mistake) will eat the expense. If one doesn't know many other owners of the same make to ask for recommendations, it's often a good bet to look for a dealership that's been in business under the same ownership for many years and/or is not owned by a huge dealership chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks