New VCR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Colburn, May 14, 2002.

1. Rob Colburn

Rob Colburn Auditioning

I need to buy a new VCR as my old one has finally died. What should I be looking for in a VCR these days.

2. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

What complaints did you have with the previous VCR? Look for one that addresses these complaints!

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would buy the JVC Super VHS vcr model HR-S7800 for $199.95
    from www.crutchfield.com It's a great vcr & at a closeout price, plus Crutchfield is a good company to do business with. The regular discount for this vcr was around $299.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Rob: I agree with Bill. If your budget can accomodate $200, the 7800 is a great machine. It can use both regular VHS and Super VHS tapes. It has digital noise reduction and time base correction.

The bottom line is that one of these machines WILL make your old tapes look good. And, it can make even better ones.

5. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I agree, the 7800 is a great deck... I just bought one about a month ago, and while VHS still generally sucks...SVHS recording is pretty nice.

Don't expect miracles out the the TBC and noise reduction though... It's still VHS, it just doesn't shake as much and looks a little more consistant.

-Aaron

6. Rob Colburn

Rob Colburn Auditioning

Thanks everyone for your help I picked up the JVC and I am very happy so far.

thanks again

Rob

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Congrats Rob, it's a great vcr, enjoy [​IMG]

8. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Yes, congrats... I use mine mostly for archiving things off of my Tivo. I don't think I could stand plain VHS quality, so SVHS works very well. Almost indestinguishable.

-Aaron

9. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Aaron-

Can I ask you how you have your SVHS hooked up with your Tivo. I just got a JVC SVHS to hook up to my Tivo. I can record to the VCR from Tivo, but no SVHS. I have run out of S-Video inputs on the Tivo. I have no S-Video going from VCR to Tivo, just standard RCA video.

My Tivo S-video out goes to the receiver and the Tivo S-video-in comes from the cable box.

Thanks!

10. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Pamela,

When I bought my JVC it had been a while since I looked at the back of my tivo, then I realized it only has one S-Video out. Depending on the receiver you have you should have VCR out's on it. I own a H/K AVR-310 and two of my Video inputs also have associated video output. These outputs will output whatever the active source is on the receiver.

In short it goes something like this:

Tivo to Receiver (S-Video)

Reciver to JVC via Receiver VCR S-Video outputs.

Hope this helps!

-Aaron

11. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks Aaron! I checked my system and that's exactly how I have it, so I guess I'm good to go.