What's new

New user question (1 Viewer)

WeldonC

Auditioning
When using color stream inputs (component) am I correct in assuming that a DVD players signal will automatically go thru my RPTV (Tosh TW56x81) line doubler? If the answer is yes, is there anyway to disable it? My question stems from the fact that I currently use a Tosh 2109 DVD player and am really pleased with the results. I bought, and subsequently returned, a Tosh 4700 player because even when switched to progressive scan (switch in back of player) it wasn't near the quality of my existing player. Would there have been some kind of signal conflict?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

only 480P signals will bypass the linedoubler in the TV.

What you are giving up going your current path is superior deinterlacing by the 4700 DVD player, 3:2 pulldown and higher resolution image.

The images will have more jaggies and have 10 to 15% less resolution.

Regards

WeldonC

Auditioning
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure that I am still understanding however. I will say that I probably didn't give the 4700 a fair chance in that, I didn't go into the DVD menu per se. What I did do was, swithch back and forth on the fly between interlaced and progressive and the output in both modes did not measure up to the output of my 2109. Perhaps I just have a good 2109, or I got a bad 4700, or maybe just my old eyes are failing me.

There have been so many threads pro and con debating the necessity of a progressive scan DVD player if your video display has a decent line doubler of which I believe the Tosh has.

Regards.........

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Progressive scan is much more than just about which unit has a better line doubler ...

Horizontal resolution is typically 540 lines from the 480P unit and 480 lines from 480i. It doesn't matter how good your 480i player or TV is ... those missing 60 lines of detail are never coming back once they are lost.

Also ... it is not so great to make decisions when you don't have the understanding of the differences in the first place. If you don't know what it is that you are supposed to be looking at ... it's pretty tough.

Give the good 480P units another try. They "ARE" better than what your TV is capable of.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks