New Universal SACDs, some more classic old stuff

Discussion in 'Music' started by Phil A, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I wanna eat a peach...[​IMG]

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Me too [​IMG]

Unfortunately some other stuff has disappeared from Universal's list for now like Derek and the Dominos.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I like anything, and I mean anything (!), that Duane Allman plays on. I'd buy any SA-CD that had tracks he played. He played around alot for cash to suppourt the band in their early, lean years. I'd love any of the albums he played on, Boz Scagg's 1st, Aurthur Conley's 2nd, He was on one of Wilson Pickett's albums, one of Aretha's, He was on Cowboy's album, and many, many others.

I like Duane! [​IMG]

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    There's no doubt that there is a ton of great back catalog stuff that can still be released in hi-rez. Thank goodness for Unviersal supporting both formats. Sony has been dismal as of late and Warner is not tons better even though they have released a little more lately (which is not hard to do considering their releases were down to a crawl). Let's hope they keep coming.

6. gregD

gregD Second Unit

I'm almost enthused!... I hadn't given hi-res anything even mild consideration for a couple months.

I won't mind double-dipping Live at the Fillmore East for comparison (and enjoyment) purposes... same goes for one of those Van Karajan Beethoven Symphonies.

But if I can only pick one, it's gonna be that Animals retrospective... if it is indeed a full retrospective.

And maybe Boulez > Ravel > Bolero.

Carpenters?... Motley Crue?... oh well, I guess they can't all be "Peaches".

Now all I gotta do is wait patiently for the titles I'm interested in to be dropped.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Um, hmmm, errr... I wonder if Live At Fillmore East will be the extended version, or the original CD setlist?

8. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Well, if The Carpenters turns out to be the ORIGINAL mixes of the singles, unlike any of the current versions available on CD, then it certainly would be worth getting. Much like George Lucas, Richard Carpenter has gone back and "fiddled" with just about every Carpenters song out on CD. Just give me a good clean copy of what was played on the radio...

Gary

9. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

More bad news, I remember looking how thin the year line up was last year and most of that stuff got delayed.
    Now, another slow year of a few good titles and a bunch of nothing.

They are sitting on so much good stuff, they must want to kill the format.

Doug

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I heard that the artists rights problems were holding things up at the HE2004.

I don't think anyone in the music business wants to kill a format that represent additional sales in this difficult environment.

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Is it because he's AWESOME?! That's why I like him.

I haven't picked up Dominos and Clapton's solo stuff on CD because I'm waiting for the SACDs. Waiting and waiting...

Eat A Peach will be bought, by me, fast.

12. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Gary...I am with you on your talk about the Carpenters music.

I have been waiting for a while for their work to either make it to this format or DVD-Audio and I honestly can't wait to word about the release and see the specs.

Also...I could have sworn that a few months back it was mentioned that Annie Lennox's latest "Bare" would be arriving on the format. Any word on this from anyone?

13. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Wow!... look at the track list for the upcoming SACD Eric Burdon / Animals release:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=13234197

About as good as I could have hoped for... many tracks from the post-ABKCO years... also includes Spill the Wine and the seldom-heard US version of We Gotta Get Out of This Place.

Remastering done by many of the same folks who did the Rolling Stones hybrids... excellent.

This is the first must-have hi-res release I've seen in months.

14. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

The folks at the Hoffman forum must be estatic, look at all the mono.
    [​IMG]

Tom