What's new

New 'universal' player with bass mgmt and DCDi! (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This could be the player to beat, for me at least.
The player is $999 MSRP, and ships from Yamaha in October...
From TWICE:
"It's also the company's first with built-in bass management for DVD-Audio (and SACD). It features MP3-CD playback, progressive scan output with Faroudja's DCDi processing, 3:2 pulldown, and digital outputs for Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks."
Of course, the devil is in the details, but this looks VERY intriguing...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, sounds great! Hopefully it will live up to the billing. Build quality is usually quite good with Yamaha products, so I am hoping that this product will deliver the goods.

For those interested, the model of the new player is DVD-S2300.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I am curious. I don't believe that Yamaha builds their own DVD players. They have that Tru Surround thing or Virtual Surround from 2 channel (I can't remember the name). I'm pretty sure it's the same as Panasonic (Matsushita). Anybody know for sure?
Dang, just ordered a Pioneer DV-45a today... Will have to see what the consensus is after a spell. :)
Carousel, single disc? Weight?
But the site says:
Features include built-in SACD and DVD-A bass management [for the Marantz 8300].
But that isn't true. Just SACD like the DV47a.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, let us know what you think of the '45A once you have put it through its paces.

The Yamaha universal player will be a single-disc player. The model number is DVD-S2300, and the 'S' denotes that it is a single-disc unit. Yamaha puts a 'C' in the model number to denote a changer. Consider the DV-C6480 DVD-Audio changer, for example.

Josh_Z

Agent
Sounds like a Pioneer chasis. No one else builds a DVD-A and SACD player right?

Is Panasonic coming out with one?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
It used to be pure Panasonic, but in the past couple of years (the years with TruSurround), their lowend models were Philips, mid-end = Panasonic. But I don't know who built the CX-1 and their flagship single-disc players.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Lee,

What are the chances of decent SACD performance from Yamaha? Where do they get the "parts" so to speak, for the SACD portion of the universal player? Do they manufacture their own, or use another company whose performance we may already know something about? Any ideas, projections?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Lee- I figured that for $420, I couldn't lose with the 45a. :) After others get their 45a's, I would be curious as to the 45a vs the 47a. I though about Keith's suggestion, 555ES (or 222ES) for SACD/CD and the Denon 1600 (?) for DVD-V/A, but I would have no [easy] way of "switching" back and forth.
Yamaha's player will be interesting to keep tabs on, and Denon, and hopefully someday, a Sony ES universal player...
Chroma bug, bass management, sound quality, build quality, etc.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Kevin,

Pioneer's a good company. It is entirely possible that they took heed from the comments in the press on SACD and reworked the output circuits.

But you can't go wrong with $420. Enjoy!

What are the chances of decent SACD performance from Yamaha?
Hard to say really. I have not ever evaluated their machines but we do know several recent Yamaha components has received good reviews from the high end press I like.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I don't know where Yamaha will be sourcing parts from for the new universal player. Of course, beyond parts, implementation is very important. I will be very interested to see how this Yamaha universal player performs. It looks like Yamaha has done a nice job with a couple of its DVD-Audio players (DV-CX1 and DV-C6480).

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Very promising. I will throw a small party if this player lives up to it's hype. When a player includes bass management for both, I think it'll show that someone is actually serious about the whole hi-rez audio world.

-Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks