New Universal player. Look good?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrianSmith, Jun 26, 2003.

1. BrianSmith

BrianSmith Stunt Coordinator

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

No DVD-Audio = not universal.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Geez, I was thinking you are talking about this universal player for $179.00

[​IMG]

Pioneer DV-563A

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

The Philips DV-963SA does SACD, but not DVD-Audio. It's been out for awhile, so do a search for more info. It seems to be good on the audio side, but has some bugs on the video side.

5. Kelly N

Kelly N Agent

According to Pioneer's website, the DV-563A offers bass management. Does anyone know anything further? The player isn't listed among the others on the site. I only found info by doing a search of the whole site for that model number. On a side note, can anyone explain why so few DVD players offer bass management for SACD and DVD-A ?

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Two possible reasons most hi-rez players don't have bass management for dvd-audio/sacd:

1) Accurately & fully manipulating hi-res data streams requires a powerful, very high-speed processor chip. I have a feeling this chip isn't cheap.

2) Multichannel mixers always stress how important it is to use five, full-range speakers (and a subwoofer) to properly listen to surround music. I can see where they are coming from: most of those 5.1 systems that use small satellites with 3 inch to 5 inch "woofers" just don't sound as full & rich as a full size system does, even if a large subwoofer is present. For movies this isn't a big deal, but for music--where the sound is all that is being paid attention to--this is a big deal. And many of these minimum systems have crossovers in the 100-200hz region. These are frequencies above which bass is non-directional--not a good thing. The result can be distorted imaging of lower frequency instruments or voices. And all the crossover processing itself can introduce it's own set of subtle problems.

So, the player manufacturers may just be taking the surround music engineer's advice & not including any b.m.

Personally, I don't believe when they say "full-range" speakers they literally mean a speaker flat from 20Hz to 20kHz. That would be a totally pie-in-the-sky and frigging stupid thing to ask of the typical music lover. So I think they are overstating themselves on purpose to make sure people use the largest satellites they possibly can. Again personally speaking, in a "typical" living room I have found that a quality loudspeaker with an 8" woofer can reproduce bass that is perfectly hearable, even if it doesn't rattle to pieces the family's good china. This is my definition of the minimum full-range speaker. My Boston CR9's can go down to 42Hz (+/-3dB scale) and they only cost $425/pair back in 1998. Most pop/rock bass stops around 40Hz so this works out great for me & my future 5.1 full-range dvd-audio loudspeaker system. And in a bedroom, dorm room or efficiency apartment living room, I'll bet a bookshelf with a good 6.5" woofer would work out pretty well too. My buddy's stereo system that uses a pair of Infinity "SL" speakers with one 6.5" woofer apiece has gotten him in trouble several times with his neighbors!

And the 5.1 mixers are placing full-range frequencies in those front, center & rear channels: as I've reported here before, that Linkin Park Reanimation dvd-audio has bass (drums, bass guitar & synths) in the fronts AND center channel that caused my woofers to move--at 75% full volume--at least half an inch. And my borrowed center channel's 6.5" woofer (an Infinity "SL" series bookshelf) actually bottomed out several times. And the rear channels during The Nightfly dvd-audio also were quite active, despite this album sounding so mellow & easy going. So people with small sats, beware!!!

>>>And note to people with dvd-audio players but no full-range sats: if you want, most dvd-audio players let you listen to a dvd-audio disc's Dolby Digital or DTS tracks by choosing the player's "dvd-video playback mode". Usually this is done via the player's set-up menu. My Pioneer 656 has this option, and I know Denon's 4800 carousel player has it too (I had to switch it around at a Tweeter store once--the 5.1 analog outputs weren't hooked up).

LJ

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer