New universal DVD changers????

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rone, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Rone

Rone Auditioning

I know Toshiba recently released a universal DVD changer (the 6915 I believe). Lots of manufactures have already announced new universal players (onkyo, yamaha, samsung, etc) and others will announce new universal players this summer (denon). Does anyone know if there are more universal DVD changers on the horizon? I would like more choices than the Toshiba. Thanks

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If you are considering the Toshiba, Don't. Mine gave up the ghost in 5 hrs of playtime. I wouldn't be surprised to see them recalled like Toshibas other player.

Noone else has one planned as far as I know.

3. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Honestly, I find that single disc players run and are manufactered a lot better. I am not a big fan of changers at all.

Consider it.

4. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

i would rather have a single disc player, but that Toshiba is the cheapest universal player ive seen (saw it at BB for 179$...can anyone recommend a good universal player for the same $?

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Pioneer 563a seems to be more reliable and has been going for under 150$ for a little while now.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The Pioneer has some issues as well with Dvd-Audio titles right now.

If you are willing to take a risk you could check E-Cost and see if they have anymore Denon 2200's for a decent price. If you are willing to go with a refurb, that will blow the doors of the other 2 options so far.

7. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

Besides the Tosh that was mentioned, I don’t think anybody makes a Truly Universal DVD changer. The closest thing I know of is the Sony CX777ES for SACD and the Kenwood Soverign for DVD-A, and these are real changers, none of that 5 disc wimpy stuff.

I don’t get it when people say that changers are not as good as single disc players, either in sound quality or build quality. The same pick-up mechanism of any given manufacturer is the same in the changer or single player version, in fact all the internal parts that have to do with sound are the same, no difference, so no sound difference. As far as build quality goes, I don't see any disadvantages either, I've owned many changers (6) and never had a single problem with any of them, in fact the only one I have ever had that completely broke and was un-repairable was a single disc player. Changers are just as good as their single player brothers are, and the extra weight can’t hurt either.

8. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I evaluated the Sony 777ES and found the layer change to be really annoying. It took about 2-3 seconds to change on some titles and that was unacceptable. You can do a search here and find some more comments about it.

9. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

i dont have any specific prejudices against changers..it's just that more moving parst = more things that can break/fail [​IMG]..i actually LIKE the idea of being able to wath LOTR EE without having to hop up & switch discs, believe me! [​IMG]

10. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

Yes this I am aware of, I've had 2 of these units and both were timed at about 3 sec on LOR ROTK, but the benefits of the changer and the control with the 232 port far outweighs this annoyance. BTW the Sony is not the only new player with poor layer change, there are many other single players with this problem.

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm not convinced a changer is the way to go. I had one and watched a movie on it or 2 before it crapped and I found myself getting up to change discs out of habit. Being that I've had a laserdisc player for so long that changes sides and discs, I'm probably not the guy to complain about changing out discs.

I would however suspect we will see some more uni changers coming this year probably around Cedia or CES.