What's new

New Universal Changer on the Market, Marantz VC6001 (1 Viewer)

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Nathan,

Thanks for the link. I didn't know Denon was releasing this model. Price is more attractive than the Marantz. I wonder which current single disc Denon player the audio of this is based off of? I'll have to contact them & find out.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
They replied to my e-mail earlier today. Audio is based off the DVD-1930ci. Guess thats the logical choice since the 1930 is the only single disc universal player cheaper than the changer.

I'm currently using an older Denon 2200. I was under the impression the 2930 was more on par with the 2200 audio wise. Is that correct? Anybody want to venture a guess how the changer will compare to my 2200? I'm most concerned with SACD & DVD-A playback. Anybody with a 1930 have experience with the 2200?

-Dave

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I'm guessing you're right about that.
Not sure how it'll compare to the 1930ci, but I bet It'll be better than the Sony DVP-NC685V I'm using now.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Will do. I currently have Sony 555es. Hopefully this will improve the picture with the upconversion. Would have stayed with Sony but wanted carousel, upconversion and sacd and no new models did this. Wonder if much diff betwen Denon and the Marantz that's out?

Big C

Agent
Real Name
Chris
I don't own the Marantz, but it looks like a Yamaha DVD-C950 (which I own), accept the Marantz can go up to 1080P. I am curious to know how the 'ALL DISC' repeat mode works during DVD-VIDEO playback. Does it play through all the titles and chapters on disc one, advance to disc two and play through all its contents, or does it return to disc one's root menu like the Yamaha DVD-C950? (It is important to be out of a disc's menus and start playback of the main movie before hitting the repeat button to be sure the desired repeat mode is activated.) I know that other changers such as Sony and Onkyo can bypass DVD-VIDEO menus during the all-disc repeat mode, but they cannot play Pal DVDs. By using a DVD ripper such as DVD Shrink, I can make new versions of DVDs without there menus and the Yamaha works fine. Or I can keep their menus and use IfoEdit to change Pal references to NTSC references after I have ripped the DVDs to my hard drive. I am pretty good at either method actually. However, between the money and time involved with DVDRDL, ripping, and burning, a multi-region, multi-system, multi-format player would be the best way to go. So if the Marantz returns to disc one's main menu, all you would have to do is hit disc skip (no big deal). The Marantz VC6001 and all of Yamaha's current changers are multi-region (tray open | 9 9 9 9 0 on remote | close tray), multi-system, and multi-format. I am also curious about disc loading for the Marantz. Does its disc tray rotate, allowing only a few discs to be loaded at once, or does the tray come way out and two of the discs are loaded towards the back of the tray like Yamaha's changers? If anybody is brave enough to take the cover off, please let us know if it uses an LSI, MediaTek, Panasonic, or Zoran Vaddis as its MPEG decoder. Thank you.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Kinda think they may be philips like the Yamaha if they obey the same code to go region free. Oddly, the Denon doesn't have HDCD in the specs but it has burr brown DAC's and Faroudja. Does the Marantz have Faroudja listed? I have a feeling that HD format players are bringing the price of regular SD dvd players, even multi-format players prices down. I kinda wanted to upgrade my Yamaha C750 to the C950 but the audio glitches and other issues have scared me off. The C750 rarely slips discs and is still nice for CD's, SACD's and DVD-Audio for now but it's not my dvd player.

Big C

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Yes. The Marantz does have Faroudja. However, I'm not sure if it is only available via the Component Video outputs and not via HDMI. I understand that Denon is #1 in A/V performance, but I've heard that the US models cannot play Pal material. Therefore, I feel that the Philips-based changers are a perfect compromize in my case. I got my Yamaha DVD-C950 around 11/27/06. If I had known about the Marantz back then, I probibly would have waited for it to come out because of its 1080P capability and 3-year warranty. However, I can't afford a plasma. So after my 8-year-old Magnavox CRT dies, I plan on getting a CRT HDTV. I believe they only go up to 1080I anyway. Is that correct? If so, at least I won't have paid for a feature I have no intentions of using. Also, what kinds of issues are you having with your Yamaha DVD-C750/DV-C6770? I use that one for bedtime entertainment. Truthfully, I am happy with my Yamaha changers even with the 'ALL DISC' repeat DVD-VIDEO playback flaw I mentioned in my previous post.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My C750 sometimes slips a disc and goes wacko on me. Doesn't respond to commands and must be powered down. It's very rare. Also, I can tell it's flaky because the elapsed time of discs, more often than not is going in fits and starts instead of a steady clocked time. By slips a disc, I mean I hear it jerk when it's turned on and the carousel spins and hear odd noises, then when it tries to load a disc, it won't work and the spindle is spinning really fast, and when you eventually turn it off and open it up, you see a disc has slipped out of place. It rarely happens, but once in a while...

Otherwise the C750 is good because it does just about everything for me. DVD-A and Video, CD, HD-CD (although skipping and starting tracks results in a mini-dropout at the start), SACD, DPL II, Divx, MP3, multi-region and both NTSC and PAL etc etc. The DAC's may not be the burr brown of the C950 but they still sound very nice and smooth.

I would like to find a C920 so I can mod it with SDI and multi-region. The C920 had a faroudja and burr brown DAC's and I don't need 1080p because I have an iScan HD+. The only reason I was ever interested in the C950 was to use a CD/HDCD and SACD/DVD-A player with DPL II and burr-brown DAC's.

What issues did your C950 have?

Big C

Agent
Real Name
Chris
I have no issues with my Yamaha DVD-C950 whatsoever. I believe Dave said that he did. I was curious to know what they were.

Big C

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Chris, I was studying your post and it has come to my attention that you have either a separate video upconverter or an upconverting TV. I'd get your 750 repaired and use its 480I component video output. Also, when you mentioned opening it up, did you mean ejecting the tray or taking the cover off the player? If you meant taking the cover off the player, did you happen to observe if it has the MediaTek MT1389EE as its video chip?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there is a simple repair for the C750 and it may not be worth looking into it. I think the chipset is buggy. I upgraded the firmware hoping to fix the issue and nothing happened. To be honest, I have been collecting SD dvd players. I don't use this for video dvd's really. I have an older Panny CV51, a Panny CP72 and a Panny F85 and I use the CP72 for dvd's. I use the Yamaha for CD's, HDCD's, DVD-Audio and SACD's. And of course, it CAN play all-region too, but my other CP72 is region modded (although it's away being repaired at the moment). I am planning to eliminate one of my CP72's and the F85 may no longer get used so it'll just be the SDI modded CP72 for dvd video and the Yamaha for audio discs :) I haven't opened up the Yamaha but I have been told by numerous people that it does in fact use a mediatek chip. Incidentally I opened up my seemingly lowly 5 disc panasonic cv51 and it had the second best Panasonic Mpeg decoder inside...of course it's interlaced, but that's why I have the iScan HD+. I use the non-SDI CP72's component outputs for dvd now, and it supposedly has the top-of-the-line MPEG decoder but quite frankly I don't know if I could tell the difference. Of course, the CP72 also has progressive via Faroudja and other nice features that the CV51 doesn't...but anyhow...

Big C

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Where did you get firmware for your C750? What benifits were you supposed to gain by upgrading?

Big C

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Whatever floats your boat. I love the Philips-based changers such as Yamaha and Marantz because so far, I find little fault with them whether I pop in something I bought (CD, DVD NTSC/Pal Regions 1-6, and SA-CD) or burned myself (CDR/RW, MP3 CD, MP3 DVD, DVD-VIDEO, DVD+-R/RW, Etc.). I also like the fact that these changers keep SA-CD in its original DSD form as opposed to changing it to PCM. I wish they included an option to turn off the cutoff frequency which only brings SA-CD up to 50 KHZ instead of going up to its original 100KHz, but then I would have to look at single-disc models and I am a big fan of Musical Theater and Opera. Many of the titles in these genres consist of double- or tripple-disc sets. So therefore, I think these changers are a perfect compromise in my case. Jack-of-all-trades, master of ... pretty much all. I haven't tried DVDRDL yet, but I'm not sure if I am going to because of the time and money that would involve. Besides, I'm thinking that my next investment should be either a BlueRay or HDDVD player because more and more movies seem to be coming out in those formats quicker and quicker.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea what the Yamaha's new firmware was supposed to do, but I updated it anyways. I think there is a link to it somewhere on AVS. I just listened to some songs off of 5 different CD's this afternoon. No Means No -WRONG, XTC Singles (The Disappointed, Peter Pumpkin Head etc), 60 Minutes with Tom Cochran, Gordon Lightfoot, and The Northern Pikes. How's that for a mix of artists! I really like the Yamaha C750's DPL II. It sounds good, especially now that I have gone back to fully matched speakers. Not quite as much bass as regular stereo, but still very nice. My Marantz SR8000 does not have DPL II, so that's a bonus on my setup :)

btw..I have used the Yamaha's dvd video output through the iScan HD+ and it looks fine.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks