What's new

New Ultra review. (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
I hope they run the HSU VTF-3 through the same tests.

We need more objective info about that sub; I found the Barry Barnes' review to be very subjective and difficult to evaluate.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Great review! It's very informative and thorough.

If you are in the market for getting a subwoofer that represents one of the all-time great bangs for the buck, with astonishing performance, give the guys at SVS a ring...
It must get repetitive but...congrats Tom and Ron!

BTW, the comments in the review about S.O.'s not really liking the looks of the SVS don't apply to my wife. She has come to really like the way it looks. God do I love her!!

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
I just like that quote! He starts review out by saying you can't even call them on the phone, then he uses the "give 'em a ring" phrase. ;-)

We know what he means of course, but still funny.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Tom and Ron,
Congratulations on yet another great review --
Imagine what would happen if you made a really great product :D
(For those of you that missed it, that was a joke).
Regards,

ling_w

Second Unit
Those guys at secret's puts their equipment through different battery of test every time they review something.

Maybe they should have a designated lab guy like JA @ 'phile, so that a set std of test is defined and performed on every piece of equipment no matter who reviewed its sonic performance.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Wow that's an impressive THD measurement. 5% @ 100dB 20Hz/1m, 1.5% 32Hz/1m... Great job guys.
Do we know how they reached the 112 dB limit at 20Hz/1m? Port noise? Amp clipping? Driver bottoming? I'd be curious to find out :)
And as for subwoofer X... is that the Sunfire?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Jim,
You weren't out of line :)
I was wondering how long before everyone caught on, so I changed my sig :D
Regards,

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Do we know how they reached the 112 dB limit at 20Hz/1m? Port noise? Amp clipping? Driver bottoming? I'd be curious to find out

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Nice results, I wish more subs were tested like this to allow comparisons, especially as regards frequency response.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I think the reason was that JJ lives in the San Francisco bay area and was concerned about kicking off an Earthquake on the San Andreas fault :D
Tom, have you sent an e-mail out to JJ -- he might join in here to add some commentary on his testing methods.
Just a thought....
Regards,

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the props guys,
>>>Tom, have you sent an e-mail out to JJ -- he might join in here to add some commentary on his testing methods.

Walt N

Second Unit
Oh yeah, Tom. Congratulations! ;)
Standardized testing protocols would be nice, but I liked what I read as much as JJ seemed to like what he heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks