What's new

new u2 album in the works, let's discuss (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Re: "Slow Dancing." Love that song, particularly the version with Willie Nelson.

Re: The Boston DVD. Yeah, I've seen it. I prefer the ZooTV show. At any rate, these releases don't address the serious lack of a definitive live collection on CD. In almost 25 years of recording, they still don't have a great live recording, IMO. Oh well, it took Led Zeppelin even longer!... :D

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
there are a hell of a lot of great B-sides by U2, and there always has been.
I had heard that Joshua Tree was meant to be a double album, but couldn't be finished in time. All the b-sides to that album's singles were the cut songs. I think they're the best b-sides of U2's career...

I have the supposed original track list and I've made my own extended Joshua Tree.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Tim:

I'm not certain that JT wasn't released as a double album because of time constraints. There's a webpage that claims that it had to do with a difference in the way Bono and the Edge wanted the final album to sound. I'm not sure that the B-sides that were left off would have necessarily given Edge what he wanted. At any rate, there's definitely some good stuff there, including "Silver and Gold" and "Walk to the Water."

Here's the website that I'm referencing: Restore the Joshua Tree.

I'd settle for a nice remaster of the track order as it was released! :D

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Angelo, I saw that webpage years ago, and it used to say that it was due to time constraints. Nevertheless, we've got some great b-sides to enjoy :)

I also like "Walk to the Water", and "Deep In The Heart", and "Luminous Times" and etc...

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
While we're on the subject of b-sides, I came across this from Interference, a rather popular U2 site (bold emphasis mine):

Interference received today information about the new U2 album from Universal in South America. The information we have been given is below:

New U2 Album/Single Title: SOLAR
Release Date: March 08, 2004 (March 9th for USA) with a limited CD Rest of 80-00 as well

Promotional Artwork (presumably from Four5One): Image of the sun with red sun rays.
Make of that info what you will. But I do hope they go forward with that "Rest Of" disc, as it would be a great way to collect the rest of the band's b-sides (not to mention their earlier EP's). Plus it would make up for the horrible 2nd disc on Best of 90 - 00, which seemed to be some odd remix album rather than an actual collection of b-sides and rare tracks.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
a great way to collect the rest of the band's b-sides
As I mentioned eariler in this thread, I have a collection of U2 non-album tracks, including B-sides, sountrack performances, etc. My collection is nowhere near "comprehensive", it's just what one (admittadly long-time - I got into U2 when "October" was released) fan has picked up over the years. It is six full-length CDs.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I have burned CDs of all my 45s, 12" singles, EPs, and CD singles. My collection so far spans 5 (or 6?) full length CDs with not a single album track. Of course that does include a lot of "Pop" remixes, which seem to go on forever.
When I meant b-sides, I was referring to non-album studio tracks (which in my crazy little world, is what a b-side is), not live numbers or remixes--both of which should have their own dedicated sets. Granted, even if they concentrated solely on non-album studio tracks, you couldn't get ALL of the b-sides onto one disc, but you could surely get the majority of them.

I'm on an old-school U2 kick right now (especially October: I might be the only one here with this opinion, but I prefer it over the other pre-Eno/Lanois albums), so I would love to hear their earliest stuff (U2 Three EP, the "Another Day" and "11 O'Clock" singles, etc.), which I believe has never seen stateside release. Am I correct on that?

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
the "solar" rumors are false. i read that on a website like @u2 or something like that. does anyone know if eno is out on this new album?

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
"We are getting closer to making the music we have always wanted to make. There is a difference between the music that you hear in your head and what you put on a CD. Your grasp is sometimes further than your reach, and right now this band is on fire and about to do its best work. That excites me."
-bono

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Best band in the world without a doubt. I'm sure they've got at least two more good albums in them. Music needs them more than ever. Lets hope it delivers. :D

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
i'm surprised no one has brought this up with all the news on the new album yet. for those that don't know, here's an update:

-the album is complete and rumored to be titled "vertigo."
-universal is apparently prepping it for a november 22nd release, single out in september.
-there's been all sorts of media attention to the fact that edge lost a rough cut of the album on a cd a few weeks ago at a photo shoot. bono has been quoted saying that if the album leaks online, they would quickly release it on itunes and then in stores soon after.

so yeah, either way, we're getting new u2 before the end of the year.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Well after skimming the thread, I read somewhere that during the photo session for the cover, someone stole the album.

I can't remember if I read it or heard it but from what I remember, Bono has stated that if the album hits the internet before it's released, the band is going to release it on ITunes only........

What a bummer that would be.....

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
-there's been all sorts of media attention to the fact that edge lost a rough cut of the album on a cd a few weeks ago at a photo shoot. bono has been quoted saying that if the album leaks online, they would quickly release it on itunes and then in stores soon after.
This story, which of course I noticed being the net surfer I am, struck me as being the kind of publicity stunt that U2 shouldn't feel the need to do.

Maybe there's a chance it was a real theft, and the Edge carries around rough cuts in his jacket when off on photo shoots, but, I'd put the chance at somewhere in the single digits.

Am I too cynical? Did anyone believe that story was anything more than a publicity stunt?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I can't remember if I read it or heard it but from what I remember, Bono has stated that if the album hits the internet before it's released, the band is going to release it on ITunes only........
Maybe you read it in the post directly above yours? ;)

And this happened last week, not a few weeks ago.

DavidKNML

Agent
I can't wait. The 1st single should be release in a few weeks.

There's also another great live U2 DVD out. I think Go Home is better than the Boston DVD. They are both great though. If you don't have it pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks