New type of Spam?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Jan 15, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Has anyone else been getting these messages? They are basically email from people you don't know, but the message itself and subject itself is completly blank with nothing there. Is there anyway to program outlook express to delete these automatically?

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I think it's actually a space in the subject line. I send emails to friends like that all the time, I dislike the annoying "no subject."

My guess would be that spammers do this because how can you have your spam program automatically delete any email with a space in the subject line? That would get rid of 99% of real mail too.

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

There is nothing in the body of the message. No invisible HTML or anything else. There is nothing to indicate that it should be treated as spam because there is nothing in the message to go by. All you have to go by is that you do not know who the sender is.

My guess is that some stupid spammer pulled the trigger on his spam gun before he had loaded it with spam, and so everyone on his spam list got a totally empty message.

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Sometimes this is also used to validate an e-mail address. If the spammer's system does not receive an error message from your ISP's mail server that the e-mail address is in valid, they assume that it's good and active.