What's new

New Type of Listening Test for Cable Differences (1 Viewer)

Jay_Leonard

Stunt Coordinator
what's an accented presence region?
I think Ricardo Montalban's house might qualify. On a larger scale maybe Australia.

What follows may qualify as a rant...

I think my only objection to all of this, with deference to the legitimate goal of Very High End Studio environments, is that the real world difference between these cables is measurably ZERO. In other words . . IF in order to hear a difference between these cables I must first meet the following criteria. . .( long list of very expensive upgrades) than I would never be able to have a theater/stereo at all. I would spend my life in agony knowing that I might have succeeded If only I could have afforded the reconstruction of my house.

The Objection part is that the cable is not marketed to Studio X, it is marketed to Me and you with our 12 two 14' Non-square listening room, in a walkup, over a busy street.

Again Chu mentioned early on the difference in what these things cost. If when purchasing these cables the salesman were forced to say something like "for the difference in cost between these cables and $.40 per ft 12 guage you could hire an electrician, buy speakers, and enough wire to wire your whole house for sound" do you think that it would have an effect on sales?

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Again Chu mentioned early on the difference in what these things cost
I am sorry but we did not state cost would be an issue in any prior discussions. The statement was made that there were no sonic differences at any price.
There is a fine line we are walking here Jay. If you exclude too many variables from the high end designers arsenal, then the sonic differences, while still present, may be very difficult to detect on the notoriously tricky blind test.

Jay_Leonard

Stunt Coordinator
I like you Lee,

I Agree with you and the premis of the test whole heartedly.

As to cost, I agree that it is and should not be part of the test, However,do you think that there would be a test at all if cost were not a factor in the ultimate purchase decision?

J

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well I think you'll do a fine job selecting appropriate material Lee.
Mark, I read some of your posts over at .opinion and I've got to give it to you. You managed to tick off Zipser and the other side. In any event I hope you continue to share your knowledge. Good day to you!

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
Hi
in the end it turned out Zip was a pretty nice guy, he was a salesman but a decent fellow. He died a few years ago BTW. I've just enjoyed audio a lot more since I stopped worrying about the science and concentrate on what I'm actually hearing in my home.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Chu,
What are the electrical metrics on Sound King and where do I get it? Is there a link? I want to try it out.
I am specifically looking for resistance, capacitance, and inductance measures. And anything about the design and manufacture.
Thanks! :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
specific values for that particular brand, no. its rather generic...like home depot, lowes, the shack, etc.

This is for 12 gauge
resistance ~ 0.0018 ohms/foot
capacitance ~ 20 pF/foot
inductance~ 0.25 microHenries/ft

There's probably a little bit of variation in those numbers but they're not significant. Could have something to do with the # of teeny wires making up the strands...spacing of the pair within the pvc.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Lee & Chu, I have to admit I read both of your posts with fascination. I'm in the "I think there may be differences - having heard what I thought were differences on a high-end system, but have never heard it in my own mid-fi system" camp.

If this test does come to New York, I'd love to be a participant somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks