New TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DamonRod, Feb 22, 2006.

1. DamonRod

DamonRod Auditioning

Hello All,
    Background: I am currently in the market for a new set. I already have a Panasonic TH-42PX25U/P that I want to move to the bedroom and want to purchase a new one for the living room. I want to be able to play games, watch TV, and (of course) movies. I felt that the Plasma (which I really do like) would not be good because of the fact that I play video games and watch regular TV on it so much.

I am looking into DLP and LCD currently. I feel DLP would work out better since I've read numerous critic and user reviews that state the it has a slightly or just better image quality to it. I'm a little scared of the bulb replacement (not the physical replacement but actual life of the bulb) as I do not want to have to spend an extra $1200 to $1800 a year. I will be going to Circuit City and Best Buy later today and will post my thoughts after some 'live' viewing. I realize that this will not be a true test but I could at least get an idea. I am looking at a price range of up to $3000 which would include S&H, any taxes, and a 2-3 year extended warranty.

I am not totally against LCD. FP CRT's a little to big for my apartment.

Thanks in advance,
    Damon

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I dont think bulb life is that big an issue, fromw hat i have heard (and i own a DLP) the bulbs are more int he 500-600 dollar range, and they certainly dont need to be replaced every year.

The Picture quality on DLP's is amazing, i dont think it compares to a direct view CRT, but its the ebst i ahve seen aside from that.

One thing i would be careful of is the warranty, make sure you have a good one, my set is currently getting a new light engine (you can read my post below for more infor on that) and seeing as how they dont ahve any light engines in stock for repairs im concerned this si either a very frequent problem or a very rare problem. either way if it happens to yuo then your shafted.

3. DamonRod

DamonRod Auditioning

The $1200 to $1800 a year comes from some stories I have read where a bulb has burnt out in 2 to 3 months. I realize that it's not every case but the fact that there are so many threads about it worries me. I know it's a little pricey but what do you think of the Sony R50XBR1?

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I'm not super familiar with the model number but i am assuming you mena the 50" Grand Vega, personally that is what i would be buying now if i had my money back. its a fantastic tv, though i find you usually pay a bit extra for the sony name.

As well ive always been a bit skeptical of those bulbs burning out in 2-3 months of regular use. i would seriously be wondering how many hours were ont he bulb when the tv was bought likely as an open box item, or how many times was the tv left on 24/7 cause hey it wont burn in and who cares to turn it off.

P.S i ahvent read many threads where people ahve ahd them burn out in 2-3 months, so im making some guesses here as to what may ahve caused it.

5. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I've had a Sony KDF series 60" RP LCD for 14 months now with no problems. I think the lamp is rated for 6,000 hours and now costs around $350, which will likely go down as the technology matures.
    I have read where it is not good to turn on a lamp based display (LCD or DLP) and then turn it off quickly, always leave it on for at least twenty minutes. You can abuse anything and it not last long. As long as you take care, you should be fine. I did buy the three year extended warranty, I didn't want to lug this thing back to the shop IF anything went wrong.

6. DamonRod

DamonRod Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I'm off to Circuit City and Best Buy for some viewing. I'll post back later of what I decide.

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

FYI you will never get good viewing conditions at places liek CC and BB if you can try to find a decent specialty shop to do your shopping in.

In my experiences you actually get to see tv's and audio gear thats is set up properly you wont get garbage like seeing a wide screen tv playing a full screen movie tha they then stretched to fit the screen, and the tvs are not as likely to be in torch mode.

As well ive found that if you build a relationship with one smaller store you get MUCH better service both before and after purchase and generally can get a deal a bit easier than at CC or BB