New TV

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Daniel A., Jun 30, 2005.

1. Daniel A.

Daniel A. Auditioning

Greetings!
    Wow, this place has really grown since my last post.

The bedroom TV died so we replaced it with a new Toshiba 26HF85 High Definition set. We also had to get a new cable box and service upgrade.

I'm pretty excited about the whole thing, but, my wife hates it and wants to take it back.

It seems that there is a bit of a problem with the display. There is a lightness across the top of the screen like the brightness is too high and is bleeding over the top.
    We've played with the settings without luck. We can make it go away, but, so does the picture.

My plan is to try to narrow down the source of the trouble. Tonight, I will be shopping for some affordable cables to hook up the DVD player and pause it on a black screen so that I can play with the adjustments better.
    I'm not certain yet if the cable box may be causing the problem.

In the mean-time, I thought I'd post a note here asking if this seemed like an easily fixable problem or a common factory defect. Perhaps some trouble shooting tips or reassurance that I'm going in the right direction.

Thank you for your thoughts.
    Cheers!

Dan

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Daniel, can't you simply swap out the unit for a new one? (Assuming it has been less than thirty days since you purchased it.)

3. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

I think going to the store and saying it's glitched would be the best. Why does your wife hate it?

4. Daniel A.

Daniel A. Auditioning

Thanks guys!
    I'm glad that I won't have to heft that sucker back to the store yet.

It turns out that the cables provided by the cable company weren't making a proper connection. I also discovered that my (cheap costco) DVD player doesn't have any "red" signal coming from the component jacks.

My wife doesn't like the picture on non-HD channels and has a hard time justifying the added cost for the relatively few HDTV channels available. Not to mention that the patch cables cost as much as the DVD player.

It's just all good entry level practice for when we upgrade the main living room TV in a year or two. I believe we will have a better idea of what we will want/need by then.

Thanks for your replies.
    Cheers!

Dan