What's new

New TV top won't hold center channel speaker. (1 Viewer)

JamesJW

Auditioning
I just bought a new Sony KV-36HS420 to replace a perfectly fine 9-year old 27" Sony set. This TV is incredible and it was love at first sight.

However, the top of the TV cabinet is so radically angled that I don't have a prayer of balancing my center speaker up there.

Putting the speaker under the TV is not an option. The TV is located inside a large entertainment center but it has doors that slide back alongside the TV so installing a normal shelf isn't an option either. Is there a TV-top shelf or some other solution to this problem?

Any ideas are appreciated...Thanks!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have almost exactly the same problem you do and it was pretty much impossible to put my Pioneer center channel speaker, which is about 12" long, on top of my TV. The top of my RCA 40" HD RPTV is angled very radically downward and there is just no way to put it on a shelf attached to the TV. I opted to get some 3M double sided poster hanging squares from WalMart and stick them to the bottom of the speaker and attach it to the top of the TV. True, the speaker angles up slightly but it doesn't affect the way it sounds and has stayed put for almost a year now. I have removed the speaker from the TV once to clean it, and the sticky squares did not mar the TV at all and were still very sticky enough to put the speaker back on the TV without having to change out the sticky squares.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
JamesJW,

If it’s not too expensive for you I’d go with the Sanus shelf JamesCB linked. You can‘t tell this unless you click on the picture, but it has rear legs with angled feet that extend down to the TV’s chassis.

If it’s more than you want to spend, or if it appears that the legs won’t extend long enough, you can make something similar for a just a few bucks.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I like that shelf....I am moving to a new house where I will have to do the Center speaker on top of TV thing....I am going to try velcro first for additional support, then look at that shelf as an option.......

JamesJW

Auditioning
I just bought a couple of them...one for the new TV and one for my computer. I paid about $27 each including shipping on Ebay. There are much cheaper ones out there it seems, but they are white which would look odd/distracting under a black speaker.

I'll post a followup with pics when they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks